• Register Today It's free!

Another system question

youneek28

Reaction score
City, State
Conyers, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0
Ok I was able to pick up a factory sub/amp enclosure for pretty cheap at my local junkyard. It didn't have a sub in it but I am planning on putting a 8" in it anyway.

I was able to get the wires from the sub up to the passenger kick panel. Which means if I want this to work I need the wires that continue on to the radio. I was going to get it out of the junkyard but of course they were cut at the head unit.

So the questions are.

Do all factory head units have the ability to hook up a factory sub/amp? If I have to get another factory head unit I might as well get a aftermarket HU, amp and sub.

For the sub/amp enclosure, it has two silver boxes attached to it. I'm pretty sure the middle one is the amp for the sub but what is the other one for?

What would be the cheapest but decent sub to put in? I'm just looking for decent sound and nothing else.

Thanks

Not all OEM headunits have a sub output.

On the sub enclosure, one amp is for the sub, one is for the front and rear speakers.

I have tried two 8" subs in mine. The first one, Goldwood GW-8PC-30-4, was okay. I think it needed a bit more power. The second one, 2ohm round Kicker Solobaric, was alot better, but it had more power. Neither are the "perfect" choice. Neither are going to win a competition.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the OEM headunit (at least mine), cuts bass at higher volumes.

Thanks

I think I will be changing my head unit anyway. I am looking for something with navigation but they are so expensive. So have to see if I can find a decent deal on one.

Back