Another timing chain thread

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hi all, I know this topic has been beat to death, but cannot find a direct answer to the question at hand.
Rear cassette guide has broken, who knows how long ago, planning on pulling the engine and changing all timing components asap. Thanks to 2000streetrod's amazing threads regarding this topic, I priced out OEM parts at about $600, seems a bit steep for an 02 truck, so I think I have decided to go with either Cloyes 90398SB or Melling 3398S.
Here is where my confusion comes in.
On rock auto the Melling set has a statement "Engines With Balance Shaft; Due To Numerous Changes To This Engine The Front; Jackshaft, Crankshaft and Balance Shaft Sprockets Must Be; Updated To The Latest OE Design. There Is A 2mm Shift In Centerline; Timing System Failure Will Result If Original Sprockets Are Re-used"... According to the picture/description it seems like this kit only comes with chains/guides/and tensioners, and NOT sprockets, if going this route, would it be wise to buy new sprockets from ford?
On Cloyes set there is a statement "Cloyes Timing Kits MAY include camshaft sprockets, crankshaft sprockets, timing chains, tensioners, and guides"... MAY? This does not sound very promising, and again there is description part by part.
If anyone out there has any experience with either of these kits some clarity on what is/is not needed outside of the kit itself would be much appreciated.
As long as I have the engine pulled I plan on doing...
Exhaust manifold gasket
Head gasket
Water pump (?)
and of course all gaskets/seals will be replaced, anything I am missing?

Just wanting to make sure I order the correct parts (within and outside the kit) and receive everything needed for the job before I dive into it.
Thanks in advance, all the help I have received here has been truly invaluable

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Shane Ive just brought a set of Cloyes 90398SB on Amazon and it included all the gears, when the Cloyes set arrived I was a bit surprised that it came in an unmarked box and the links on the chain set were a loose fit (sloppy) so I was worried that it might have been a counterfeit set, I then sent a photo of to Cloyes technicians, they acknowledged that 'it probably was one of there sets", Shane your post is three months old now can you give us an update on how you went with your project thanks, I also note that there are others out there that have installed Coyles and other brand aftermarket sets and it would be interesting to have some follow up information on how they are proforming.

Hi Shane Ive just brought a set of Cloyes 90398SB on Amazon and it included all the gears, when the Cloyes set arrived I was a bit surprised that it came in an unmarked box and the links on the chain set were a loose fit (sloppy) so I was worried that it might have been a counterfeit set, I then sent a photo of to Cloyes technicians, they acknowledged that 'it probably was one of there sets", Shane your post is three months old now can you give us an update on how you went with your project thanks, I also note that there are others out there that have installed Coyles and other brand aftermarket sets and it would be interesting to have some follow up information on how they are proforming.
Sorry to hear about the bad buy, one of the unfortunate risks with online retailers and not seeing the product in person.
I ended up buying all motorcraft OEM timing components instead of the cloyes set due to the risk of counterfeit parts, as well as some users questioning the quality of cloyes in general. It was significantly more expensive (and more work finding part numbers for 20+ pieces) but since it is such a huge undertaking and and I plan to keep the vehicle for as long as I can, it was worth the price for me.
I went through tasca auto parts, and they took about a month to ship, other than that everything came as advertised.
I actually did it back in 2020, so about a year and 2-3 months ago. Everything is still running strong. Now time to tackle some rust issues :mad:
Good luck with your project, let me know if you have any more questions

Speaking of rust, I'm noticing some body rust just above the rear wheels. Hope it doesn't spread too quickly!

Speaking of rust, I'm noticing some body rust just above the rear wheels. Hope it doesn't spread too quickly!
It's the devil, everything is in tip top shape except for the rotted rocker panels and hole in both rear dog legs (?)
20 years in the midwest will do it.
At least I'll have some new tools in my arsenal after the fix

Don't do Cloyes. I did, and ended out redoing it with Motorcraft parts 20k later. That was about 70K ago.

Sorry - I see that you went Motorcraft. 👍

Hi all, I know this topic has been beat to death, but cannot find a direct answer to the question at hand.
Rear cassette guide has broken, who knows how long ago, planning on pulling the engine and changing all timing components asap. Thanks to 2000streetrod's amazing threads regarding this topic, I priced out OEM parts at about $600, seems a bit steep for an 02 truck, so I think I have decided to go with either Cloyes 90398SB or Melling 3398S.
Here is where my confusion comes in.
On rock auto the Melling set has a statement "Engines With Balance Shaft; Due To Numerous Changes To This Engine The Front; Jackshaft, Crankshaft and Balance Shaft Sprockets Must Be; Updated To The Latest OE Design. There Is A 2mm Shift In Centerline; Timing System Failure Will Result If Original Sprockets Are Re-used"... According to the picture/description it seems like this kit only comes with chains/guides/and tensioners, and NOT sprockets, if going this route, would it be wise to buy new sprockets from ford?
On Cloyes set there is a statement "Cloyes Timing Kits MAY include camshaft sprockets, crankshaft sprockets, timing chains, tensioners, and guides"... MAY? This does not sound very promising, and again there is description part by part.
If anyone out there has any experience with either of these kits some clarity on what is/is not needed outside of the kit itself would be much appreciated.
As long as I have the engine pulled I plan on doing...
Exhaust manifold gasket
Head gasket
Water pump (?)
and of course all gaskets/seals will be replaced, anything I am missing?

Just wanting to make sure I order the correct parts (within and outside the kit) and receive everything needed for the job before I dive into it.
Thanks in advance, all the help I have received here has been truly invaluable
Glad I found this thread. I need to do the same and want to go with motorcraft because of the same reason you did, counterfeit. Do you still have the list of all the parts you replace in your engine?

Timing parts, gaskets etc...

I'm planning on replacing all the gaskets, hoses and upgrading any other parts needed.

Thanks in advance

JR

Glad I found this thread. I need to do the same and want to go with motorcraft because of the same reason you did, counterfeit. Do you still have the list of all the parts you replace in your engine?

Timing parts, gaskets etc...

I'm planning on replacing all the gaskets, hoses and upgrading any other parts needed.

Thanks in advance

JR
I've been looking at melling kit but im so worried about getting screwed by a online retailer.

Back