Another tire size experiment - sorry! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another tire size experiment - sorry!

Brahms

Reaction score
City, State
Morganton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford F-250 Lariat
The experimentation has officially begun on the new-to-me Explorer. I just installed a set of Bridgestone Dueler HTs on my 07 4x4 4.0. I only paid $200 for them, takeoffs from a J**p, 245/75/17 to replace the Chinese crap that was on it. On stock 17x8s, there is a little control arm scrub at full lock which I plan to remedy by adjusting the stops. No fit issues with the fender liners. Now it rides like the Navigator, and wife has claimed it. Oh, well...

Good to know. I have a set of 265/70/17 BFG AT KO2's that I bought new for my jeep then sold the jeep, but kept the tires. (since they only had 200 miles on them) Currently they are in the garage waiting for my current BFG's to wear out....
Hows the power on the bigger tires? Yours are the same diameter as the ones I have waiting to go on.. they only thing Im really worried about is the lost power....

I have the 4.0. It seems to shift more frequently on hills than before, but I don't beat it. No apparent difference in 4L.

There's a post here somewhere about your exact situation, Nitto 265/70 being the largest tire you can fit without a lift.

And I was wrong - the scrub is fender liners, on the rear side, not control arms. Time to dig out the Pop rivet tool....

Back