• Register Today It's free!

another trans problem

CopenGrizz01

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Murcury Mountaineer
Just bought my wife a 04 explorer xlt 4.0l. Before i purchased it i took it for a drive and it shifted just fine. As soon as i got it home i had the wife take it for a spin and she comes back saying the tranny is slipping. And sure enough the darn thing is slipping or "shift flare". 1-2 shifts just fine. 2-3 sometimes fine but most the time it slips or its a long shift and shifts hard. 3-4 slips sometimes its fine. Then 4-5(OD) shifts fine. Theres no codes and the OD light dose not flash. Ive heard about the servo bores wearing out but just dont know if that could be my problem. And of course theres no dip stick because its a sealed tranny so idk how the fluid looks. Theres no tranny leaks. Sometimes it shifts fine but most the time it does not. I dont have money to put this thing in the shop. Im a decent drive way mechanic. I thought about ordering the servo bore fix kit for $200 but i wanted some opinions first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how many miles does it have.. it could be a dirty/ clogging trans filter, no guaranties on that,

how many miles does it have.. it could be a dirty/ clogging trans filter, no guaranties on that,
It has 154xxx. I was thinking it could be that as well but nothing is ever that simple for me lol

how was the oil does it look clean like it was well maintained. you can tell if its really dirty the 4.0l get slug if they are not well maintained only takes a few hundred miles

how was the oil does it look clean like it was well maintained. you can tell if its really dirty the 4.0l get slug if they are not well maintained only takes a few hundred miles
The engine oil looks good.

i would try the filter but, i hate to throw money away if its not, but i would do it in hopes that it would cure it .$50 or so bucks if it worked i would gamble on it.

has the truck have any check engine light on

how far have you driven it since you got it ?

Does the O/D light actually work?

Same thing mine was doing... Changed the solenoid pack and valve body and now 10000 miles later still shifting like it's brand new.
I never thought of doing the servo bores..

Now it is transfer case time for me...

CopenGrizz01
I'd add a quart or two of fluid to the trans., and see what happens. Easy enough with a squeeze bottle, pipe plug right-rear of case above oil pan flange. If it turns out to be low on fluid, shifts OK, pull plug out of bottom of pan, and the excess (if there is any), will drain out. If none comes out, add more, repeat checking process. Low fluid a pita with these transmissions. imp

I had the trans filter replaced today. I took it to my local shop because its been raining the past few days and i just didnt want to do it lol. The guy said the fluid looked good and there was nothing in the pan. He said the filter was pretty dirty. It does seem to shift better now but the 2-3 and 3-4 still slip or shifts hard. It dosnt actually ever slip out of gear just seems like there is a delay and sometimes after the delay it shifts hard but not all the time. I also noticed that if i get on it like floor it the thing shifts fine. And also the overdrive button does work. The guy at the shop checked for codes again and there was nothing.

Could try rebooting the PCM. Get things back to factory defaults and see what happens.

The best way to discharge the keep alive memory is to remove both battery cables from the battery terminals and touch them together if possible or wire them together and go inside vehicle and turn on lights,hit the brakes,blow the horn. What you are doing is using these accessories to drain the capacitors.Then reconnect the cables to terminals.

any luck, please keep us posted

Disconnected the battery today before i left for work and hooked it back up when i got home. 2-3 seems to shift normally for the most part now. But 3-4 still has a delay. Rpms dont jump its like it bogs down for a second then shifts. It hasnt shifted hard since the filter change though. Sometimes it does shift fine though but most the time 3-4 messes up.

Might be time to think about the solenoid pack and or valve body...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back