Another truck won't start thread! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another truck won't start thread!

matt the pilot

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the board. I have a 2000 Explorer 4dr, 4.0L. A couple weeks ago the truck started acting up. I would have to prime the motor like 3 times for it to actually start up in the morning. Finally, it just stopped working all together. The motor cranks over strong yet I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming the motor when you first turn the key on. SO I thought the fuel pump went out. I pulled the fuel pump out, swapped in a new one, and again, it didn't prime the motor. So I tested the original fuel pump straight to a battery (which I should have done in the first place) and the fuel pump works fine. So this leads me to believe maybe a blown fuse. I have checked all fuses, and all are fine. What about relays? Where would the fuel pump relay be? Or am I missing something here? Is this a common problem or should I Just take it in to the mechanic and have him deal with it? Let me know guys I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont forget to check the collision switch, maybe your fuel filter as well.

any codes?

whats a 'inertia switch' ? im having a problem with my truck, it seems that a couple times in dead winter it doesnt start, will try to crank, but no go, i finally thought it might be the battery bought a new one and nothing..... is there anything with ex's and cold temps? any help would be great....

z+

whats a 'inertia switch' ? im having a problem with my truck, it seems that a couple times in dead winter it doesnt start, will try to crank, but no go, i finally thought it might be the battery bought a new one and nothing..... is there anything with ex's and cold temps? any help would be great....

z+

The inertia switch is on the firwall in the passenger foot well. It has two wires going to it. In the event of a collision, it gets knocked in the "off" position so to speak, cutting off the power to the fuel pump. SOMETIMES it can get knocked over if you hit a bump or what not.

When it won't start, turn the key to the ON position, and you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or 2. If you don't hear that, then your problem is fuel delivery related. If you do hear it run, then your problem is probably spark related.

Back