Another "U-Haul doesn't like me" thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another "U-Haul doesn't like me" thread

I'd read about it, but hadn't encountered it till last weekend. Was going to look at a couple cheap cars for sale in a neighboring town, considering buying a car to flip. I called the U-Haul place in the town and asked about a tow dolly. He said "sure, I've got one. What are you going to be towing with it?" I said a small FWD car like a cavalier or a Focus. He said "oh yea, that'll work. What are you gonna tow it with?" I told him my 2000 Explorer and he quickly shut down and said "sorry, can't do it. U-Haul is afraid of being sued and has banned us from renting to anyone towing with any Explorer up to the 2010 models." I called the local U-Haul place and asked them (they are good friends and have always been straight with me). They confirmed what I had been told. Said they were on my side, and it was a silly rule but if they rented to me and anything happened they could lose their deal with U-Haul.
Isn't it about time that U-Haul realized that no one is using 15 year old Firestones on their Explorers and they are no more likely to roll over than the other SUV's that they are allowing to tow?

Ok, end rant.. thanks for allowing me to vent.

For those wondering, I talked a friend into driving me there with his 06 Tahoe Hybrid towing his car hauler. Then after all that I ended up driving the Focus home anyway. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell them you have a Mountaineer and see how that works.

I went in to a Uhaul to get a used tow hitch installed. After 20 minutes of him inspecting the hitch and truck, the guy (who's job it is to install hitches) swore it was the wrong one and couldn't install it. Went directly across the street to a hole-in-the-wall tire shop and they put it on faster than it took to get the truck on the lift for a $20 bill. :rolleyes:

Found myself needing a tow dolly a few weeks ago as my Fusion clutch gave up the ghost. At a red light no less.

Arrive at Uhaul and they asked me the same questions. Told them I'm using "That 4 wheel drive V8 Ford truck" to tow this little car, "the white one" as I point to it parked outside. Gave them my insurance card which pretty clearly says Explorer on it. We complete the paperwork, sign the contract and head outside for hook up. He sees that its a Sport Trac and immediately gives me the same entertaining exploding Explorer erroneously exaggerated explanation.

Since Uhaul likely also brainwashed him that I'd roll my truck turning out of his driveway, I gave him a few moments to find shelter inside before I headed home to grab the wifes Expedition, which is on Uhauls nice list. Rescued the Fusion and get it unloaded back at the house, didn't even know the car was back there with the Expeditions 5.4L. Its time to return the dolly and my Sport Trac looks bored, like its suffered driveway neglect all afternoon. Can't have that, right?. So I switched it up.

Get back to Uhaul, pull into the return lane and go inside. Same guy asks how it went and I told him just fine. We go outside and he sees Mr. Smartypants returned his dolly with the super dangerous, Firestone-free Sport Trac, "So you used this anyway I see" he says, clearly annoyed by my sense of humor. Returning it with a Ryder or Penske truck would have also been comical IMO, but with a clutch job pending, I wasn't prepared to rent one. Hoped he'd tell me that I was lucky to be alive driving an Explorer, but he didn't mention it. Also thought about posting a pic to Uhaul's facebook, but really didn't want my VISA card getting tested.

All is well that ends well. What sure felt like a clutch gone bad was a sudden failure in the hydraulic slave cylinder. Easily and inexpensively replaced it and its buddy, the clutch master cylinder. (If anyone finds the references to a clutch master and slave cylinder offensive, try calling a Ford dealer and ask how much a clutch job costs these days)

Used my old 2000 mountaineer on 35" tires 2x in like years 2007-2009 to rent a car dolly, no problem. I have heard about numerous turn aways for having an explorer before, U-Haul is stupid.

Had something close to that a long time ago.

Blew the transmission in the 86 Mustang and went to U-Haul for a car trailer.

Told them what I was towing and it would be with the 98 Explorer V-8 and full tow package.

U-Haul told me "NOPE, TOO HEAVY".

Went to another U-Haul for a car trailer and told them I was hauling a 1971 MGB.

Off I went with a car trailer.

The Explorer didn't mind pulling the Mustang Home.

I was at the local U-Haul place today arranging to rent a truck to move all of our stuff from U-Haul storage to our new house (but thats another thread). Since I had time, and the gal on the computer seemed in a good mood, I just had to ask (this is a huge huge all service U-Haul place). "Could you install a U-Haul hitch on my Explorer?". She smiled and said she was sure they could, and turned to her trusty computer. She looked it up and sure enough there were two different U-Haul hitches that they would be happy to install for me. I then smiled and said, "but you won't let me tow a U-haul trailer with that U-haul hitch?". A light went on in her head and she said she seemed to remember that there were certain year Explorers that they couldn't rent to. I said I know, I was just curious. But she began looking it up, saying that now she really was curious. She looked it up and sure enough, due to past history of lawsuits, they just couldn't allow a 2000 Explorer to tow a U-Haul trailer... even with a U-Haul hitch. I just smiled and said that's just hilarious. She said she was sorry. I laughed and said not to worry about it, I'd see her on Sunday when I picked up the truck.

Seems to me that if the U-Haul corporation is so worried about the safety of towing with an Explorer, they wouldn't want to install hitches on them. Couldn't they be sued for negligence? Contributing to unsafe towing? lol

But you can take the same year mountaineer up there and rent a trailer no problem, I've done it. They are idiots.

But you can take the same year mountaineer up there and rent a trailer no problem, I've done it. They are idiots.

We do what the computer tells us to...

I would never blame the individuals who work at the many U-haul locations around the country. They are merely doing what the corporate folks tell them to do, and the people I have encountered at U-haul stores have all been competent, friendly people. Now I would like to give a piece of my mind to the corporate bosses and their attorneys.

"Resistance is Futile, You will Be Assimilated"

"Resistance is Futile, You will Be Assimilated"

c11b0e35d76215bd6afa832f95863d618437901625b971201a.jpg

:laugh:

Back