Another wiring harness question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another wiring harness question

OK, I've looked through everything, and am still thoroughly confused about my trailer wiring harness. I've got the tow package on my '97, and currently use a flat cable, like this, for my trailers:
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/hop/40915.jpg
This plugs in under the bumper, to the small round 5-pin (or whatever) connector.
I am getting a camper, which has a 7-pin plug, and assumed I could just get a different pigtail for this, just about anywhere. So, is this the pigtail I need to get from Ford, for some ridiculous amount of money?

At the local parts store it is $60, just to get a 7-pin plug which connects to the 4-pin flat plug, which I could use to get the camper home (tomorrow), but I don't want to fork out that much money ($60 seems kinda steep for that), when that's really not what I need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I've looked through everything, and am still thoroughly confused about my trailer wiring harness. I've got the tow package on my '97, and currently use a flat cable, like this, for my trailers:
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/hop/40915.jpg
This plugs in under the bumper, to the small round 5-pin (or whatever) connector.
I am getting a camper, which has a 7-pin plug, and assumed I could just get a different pigtail for this, just about anywhere. So, is this the pigtail I need to get from Ford, for some ridiculous amount of money?

At the local parts store it is $60, just to get a 7-pin plug which connects to the 4-pin flat plug, which I could use to get the camper home (tomorrow), but I don't want to fork out that much money ($60 seems kinda steep for that), when that's really not what I need.

The camper probably has a 7 pin RV style plug, its pretty much standard on all campers. The question is, does the camper have electric brakes? If not, your four flat plug will be fine. If it has electric brakes, you will need an electric brake controller and RV receptacle on your truck, all of which will have to be wired up.

If the camper just has the plug, no brakes- buy a cheap receptacle like you'd get for the tow vehicle and a bracket. Mount the bracket on the trailer and wire a trailer end of the four flat connector into the right places on the receptacle- instant adapter for ~$25

Yeah, I'm sure it is the standard 7-pin RV connector. The camper DOES have brakes, but hooking them up is not my immediate concern, as it is only 2000 lbs. But I am supposed to have the brake controller connector under the dash, so I assumed that also meant the wires were in place for the brakes, although I've not found them yet. This whole subject of what "towing package" means from Ford seems to be in a big cloud.

For today, I just want the lights hooked up, so I can tow it home. I figured that much would be easy. I figure this would do the job, but $56?! Yikes!
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=SMP&MfrPartNumber=TC424&PartType=874&PTSet=A
What's it made of, gold?

Picked up a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter for $10. That will get me home. Then I can crawl under this weekend, and figure out what is already wired for the trailer, and what I have to run.

Your 97 won't have controller wires ran from the factory. It only has the lights 02+ are the ones with the controller wiring as a factory option. Its easy enough to run them though, I ran mine down the driver's side frame rail. Just zip tie the wires out of the way.

AZ has a really nice Hoppy receptacle for the truck side that has a 4 flat built in to the plug- I have a picture of it somewhere on here- look at the sticky in the top of this section. I got the plug, wiring kit, and controller for ~$120

I'm probably gonna do that. I also called the place that installed my hitch so long ago, and they said they same thing. I won't spend any more time looking for it. Just seems more confusing than it needs to be. :confused:

Thanks!

Back