• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Antenna bracket for sale...

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
4ft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Yomie

Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
Aiight thanks, just checking, i really want one of thoes drivers side brackets, but i'm broke...i just replaced both front wheel bearings at $200 a piece, maybe end of month

DocVijay

Meow
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
LowdPypes, I'm interested. Let me know how you want to do this. I'd like the passenger side bracket. Actually, either one will do.

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
Alright everyone, they are ready, I have 20 passenger and 20 drivers side. Let me know what you want... I am not drilling the hole for the actual antenna so that you can mount whatever you want onto them. Enjoy.

I'll do 25 for one, 40 for both, shipped. Happy wheeling.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
hhhhhmmmm...

I have been working on this idea for a few months now and have found a reel problem here! The mount I made was not syrong enough! Here in So. Cal. we have alot of parking garages. most only have 6'6" clearance. So every 5 feet that thing is hitting the celling. After about 3 parrking garages mine almost fell off. It is to much trouble to take it off all the time! How have adressed this consern? I had an idea to have a spring mounted on mine so it will work like a Rainbird. It can spring back enough to clear but always returns to normal place.

Xlt-RATED

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4
Originally posted by LowdPypes
it's just the stainless bracket... if a few of you want them then I can do them a little cheaper. I will try and get a pic up tomorrow.
What was the final price on the brackets?
And coould I get a day picture?

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Did you strip back any paint or anything to make sure the antenna gets a good ground plane? this can be a real problem with CB's... Ever have any problems with the whip hitting the side of the truck with them mounted in this position? And which side do you think is less obtrusive to the driver's view (I really don't see how this could cause much of a problem vison wise...) I'm assuming this could be used for a whip with a spring base?

Oh, one more question... Do you just run the wire through the door jamb like the pic shows?

Thanks, I've been wanting a good CB antenna mount

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
I'll take a day picture tomorrow... I have listed the price as $25 for one and $40 for both which includes shipping to anywhere in the US.

As for what do use, I am using a k40 36" without the spring base. I have done some pretty hefty wheeling and it never hits my car. A few ploders around here have the 4 ft. k40 and theirs never hits either. I have a scanner antenna on the passenger side and it looks great. Take these to have powder-coated and they'll look as thought they came with them from the factory. I don't ground the antenna... I never have but make sure the that CB is grounded well. I thought that you weren't supposed the ground the antenna... isn't that why they come with poly bushings?

To answer about them being sturdy... this is 1/4" stainless steel. I can pull the antenna all the way down and the bracket doesn't move. It's plenty sturdy, I promise! Enjoy!

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
You know what... nevermind about the ground plane... its a little different than just grounding an antenna, but now the more I think about it.. its only more of a problem on the high powered (100W) low band radios used by emergency vehicles... I am definately interested, now i'm researching CB's/antennas

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
antenna "ground plane"

HokieBert and all,

A ground plane or counterpoise, as it's sometimes referred to, is still important, regardless of band. There are a few antenna designs that don't need the vehicle body as a ground plane, notably "j-poles" and coaxial antenna designs, but these would be pretty large and cumbersome for 11 meters (CB) so you don't really see them on vehicles. Virtually all commercially available CB antennas work best with a ground plane

My advice would to be sure that the coax cable feeding the antenna is well grounded at both the radio, and antenna ends. Make sure the antenna mount is making good electrical contact with the truck body metal.

Chew_12

Working
Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Im still interested, I just need some confirmation that they do in fact fit on a 1st gen. Any close up shots of just the mount? Thanks

DocVijay

Meow
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
Originally posted by LowdPypes
I have listed the price as $25 for one and $40 for both which includes shipping to anywhere in the US.

Is there any benefit to using two? I would imagine that there is, but I wnat to make sure. Do most CB's have sockets for two cables, or is there a Y-adapter?

NOTAJP

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home AFB, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
No more Exploder
Originally posted by DocVijay
Is there any benefit to using two? I would imagine that there is, but I wnat to make sure. Do most CB's have sockets for two cables, or is there a Y-adapter?

Your CB will only have one jack but you can purchase a Y-adapter or a cable that is already split for two antennas. The later will have less noise than a Y-adapter..

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
They WILL work on a 1st gen... confirmed today.

Xlt-RATED

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4
Fuel pump should be on the drivers side. RIGHT???

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
yes, fuel pump is on the drivers side...

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
Another Question

Are you using stock screws on the top of the light housing? or did you put in bolts.

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
bolts right to the stock screws...

only have 5 of each left if you are interested.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Xlt-RATED

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4
How about some day light pictures?