• Register Today It's free!

Antenna Only Goes to Half-Mast

mbruffey

Reaction score
City, State
MN, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
Suddenly my pwr antenna extends only to half-mast. Retracts just fine. If I pull on it, it says "I ain't movin'." Any pointers or tips before I dig in? Thx, M * 1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has finally died?

Perhaps that is why it's at "Half Mast"?

It speaks to me, so it can't be dead.

Take right wheel off. Take fender liner out. Take plastic trim piece above fender off (maybe a few bolts there? I forget, you'll see what to do.). Take nut off above fender. Take fastener off at bottom of antenna. Unplug antenna wire and power connector. Reverse procedure with new antenna.

Thanks, J_C! I also found this: search item 370461814395 on ebay.

I hate those damn power antenna's. Every one I've ever had has given me trouble. If it were me I'd replace it with a fixed-mast antenna.

Thanks, J_C! I also found this: search item 370461814395 on ebay.

Is this just the power antenna mast or the whole antenna assembly for $27.xx?

^ Appears to just be the mast, or at least doesn't include the motor. The ebay page clicks through to this statement, with pictures missing from an expired domain name:

This is the Part that is needed If your Ford Explorer Power Antenna MOTOR RUNS, ... or makes a clicking, grinding sound .... BUT the Mast doesn't go up or down, "OR" your Mast is "BENT" from the Car Wash or Vandalism, or is just Simply Missing.....

The part on that domain (cached by google) appears to suggest it's Ford part # F57Z-18A886-AC. If that's true then it's only the mast? I've never taken one apart but here's that:

F57Z-18A886-AC - Genuine Ford Parts

I too, would replace it with a fixed mast... I don't go through enough automatic car washes to mind the rare occasion when I'm taking my fixed mast off with miniature vice-grip pliers I keep in the glovebox.

Pretty sure I was getting a pic last nite. It's the antenna and some kind of cogged driveline. Search this: Ford EXPLORER Power Antenna MAST 1998-2010 ** NEW **

As for problems with the antenna, on this 20-year old vehicle I've had only occasional burps, in very cold weather. A little silicone usually took care of those. But I am strictly an on-road driver. Perhaps that makes a difference.

Back