• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Antenna problems

Fish Man

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey everyone. I had my x in the body shop (a friend of a friend, its been in and out of there like 5 times for the same thing). Picked it up today and thought dang, looks like he finally got it right. Till I got half way home and the friggen CB antenna fell off. Stopped and picked up the antenna and its just a little scuffed up so figure it should still be fine. its a 4' wilson silver load. im using the tail light mount that a member on here used to sell...i forget who. but anyway i foud out the guy took off some parts from the mount and now i dont know what i need to put it back on. sorry if this is covered elsewhere (please hit me with a link if it is) but i really dont know anything about CBs as this is my first. right now all i have is the mount and the antenna, how do i put the two together? :rolleyes: im sure this is a dumb question but i dunno :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FreeWheelin4x4

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4.0 OHV 3.55
Got a picture of the mount, and the bottom of the antenna? You might just need the mounting sleeve to put the antenna on the light mount itself. If I'm not mistaken the wilson is a 1/4 inch screw base correct? Which if I am reading your question correctly you have nowhere to screw it into, correct? If this is the case you just need the mounting sleeve. Find a CB or Ham radio shop in your area and head there and pick one up. If unable to post a picture (it would help me greatly without doubt to figure out what's going on) I'd head to one of those places, show them the problem and they'll set ya up....Also is your coaxial still hooked up to the mount or is that off too?

Pics would help, unless my questions are on the dot to the problem, which case my explination should solve those problems.

Fish Man

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hey man thanks for the reply. my digi cam broke so i dont have any pics...let me see if i can find some generic ones. ok ive got this spring:
oooh just saw this, is this pretty much what i need?
and yes the wilson is 1/4 inch. and you are correct, i have nowhere to screw it into. the spring used to have a coax adapter thing on it but it no longer does. no cb shops around here that i know about, just radio shack...i know they suck but this seems like basic stuff, will they likely have it? i never got my coax ran. i got the antenna in the mail and just threw it on before i got my coax in so theres nothing hooked up. let me know if you need any more pics. thanks for the help! im sure htis is a basic thing but i just dont know anything about this. only radios i know about are pioneers :p

Fish Man

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
hmm, looking at some stats it might actually be 3/8"...

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Get a new stud mount, as you posted, that way you wil have all of the necessary insulating fiber washers.

The spring is a little added insurance that the antenna will not get broken right away.

The spring may change the SWR setting so get the whole thing together then check the swr.

Make sure to get the antenna tuned for teh lowest SWR.

Also, make sure the antenna mount is ground to the frame, not just by the light mounting screws, but an additional braided strap from the mount to the frame.

Ltr

Fish Man

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
is the thing on the right the stud mount?