• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Antenna stud mount with ring connector? How to connect to cable?

inh

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
How would I connect some COAX to it? Do I just leave the sheilding cut and crimp the center conductor to the lug?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Unless the ring is the ground. I'm having trouble picturing the connector you are talking about. Got a photo? Link? The center conductor needs to go to the antenna, and the shield to the ground.

inh

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Sorry, thought I linked a pic..

Thats a firestik mount

I would just go with the normal PL-259 plug on the bottom, but im concerned about the weatherproof-ness of that design, seems the ring mount would be more robust.

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Yeah, the center on your coax goes to the ring. You'd need to take part of the braid and attach it to the ground, which I guess would be at the "mount surface" shown. That doesn't look like a great way to do it though, but it'll work .... until the wires rust.

The "shoulder washer" is plastic, correct? That's your antennas isolation from ground. But you'd still need to tie your braid on your coax to something. The PL259 might be a safer bet. You can always wrap it or RTV it to keep the weather out.

You don't have any instructions that tell you what to do with the braid?

inh

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I haven't bought it yet. Just sourcing parts for order next friday. I'll probably just go with the PL-259 termination for the mount. Thanks for the help =]

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
IMHO, the Ring Lugs are the best type of connection for the coax for teh average CBer.

Ring Lugs are easier to attach, easier to fix, the coax is easier to run through the vehicle without the large PL259 on the end and to radio people the ring Lugs are closer to a 50 ohm match than the standard connector, the PL259.
As I have said before everything in an antenna setup is a compromise even the connector, that is why people use the PL259 it appears easy yo use.

Ring Lug connection on a piece of coax is easy, coax is made up of a (from the center out) center conductor, the foam or plastic insulation, a braided shield and sheathing.

The center conductor and the foam around it connects to the center of the Mounting Stud using a large ring lug.
The braid, should be pulled apart and away from the center foam insulation and then twist the strands together add heat shrink and a smaller ring lug crimped to it. This braid attaches to the mounting plate not the Stud.
Make sure that nothing is shorted between the center and the braid of the coax.
also, make sure the shoulder fiber washers are positioned properly, this is a must, they are insulators and need to be there.
Don't use any type of thread lock, unless it is specifically design for electrical connections and it is conductive.

I hope this isn't too confusing but when you look at the coax and the mount/pic you will see what needs to be done.

Talk to the World...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Low Profile Antenna for Short Distance Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
B cb radio/antenna help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
1 Antenna help! Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
T CB Radio and antenna install on a 3rd Generation Explorer Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
1 Antenna question? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 20
Dan Whitaker Permanent antenna mounts Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
D Antenna Problem Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 27
T Automatic Lowering Antenna - HOW?! Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
C New to Radios, Need Antenna and CB Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 10
LONO100 i can hear my buddy, but he cant hear me. which antenna needs adjustment? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
A Roof Mounted Antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
R Pictures of my antenna mount as requested (not pretty) Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
M antenna spacing (tx vs rx) Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
N How to put a 3x5 flag on a cb antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
T brake light antenna mount Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 19
N What do you guys think about duel antenna's? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 8
G Mirror Antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
Elessar65 CB antenna in stock radio antenna location Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
joker1457 CB Antenna Question Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
I Tail light antenna mount install Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 21
I Roof mount CB antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
N PLEASE HELP!!! High swr on my roof rack mounted antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
BlackHawk09er Antenna mount Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
Turdle Dual antenna install ??? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 26
P Wire CB to stock FM Antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
L HOW TO: ball mount for CB antenna installation Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 25
BillyBob82 no antenna=no noise? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 22
J midland glass mount antenna to any cb Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
J antenna/coax question Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
storlied Antenna Size? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 55
storlied Lets see your antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
E 3rd Gen CB / Antenna set ups please show. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 11
storlied antenna grounding ?s Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 19
T CB/PA/Antenna Help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
H Antenna Choise Problem Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
T Antenna brackets Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
Paraphoe CB and antenna install pics Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 17
O Whip antenna help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
M CB antenna... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 32
Maniak antenna location confusion.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
Paraphoe Running antenna coax into cab? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 31
K tuning antenna in Albuquerque Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 8
A Antenna ?!? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
Y CB Antenna Q Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 10
B CB Radio & Antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 22
X mounting a lil willie antenna roof mount style Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
L Folding down the antenna... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 13
F CB antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 15
F Antenna problems Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
S antenna length prefrences Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1