Anti-Freeze Leaking

mranderson214

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT, V6 with about 191,300K miles on it.

Recently I had my alternator changed out after it crapped out on me on the highway and I had to get a tow. I changed the alternator today and was on my way to the auto shop to get my battery tested and possibly charged since the alternator had been dead and the cars been using the battery for the past few days.

On the way to the auto shop, I noticed that my engine temp gauge, which is normally half-way, began to act funny. First I drove roughly 1.5 miles before it even moved from the rest position to the C (cold). Then, it went from C to halfway in about 4 seconds. I put on the heater on full blast, but the air was cold. Ice cold as if the air was being pulled straight from outside, not lukewarm.

As I kept on my way to the auto store, the gauge was bouncing between half and 1/3. Never saw the gauge drop towards the C while the car was running. At about 2.2 miles into the trip; the gauge rose up and went 3/4 of the way towards the H. I pulled into a nearby parking lot before it touched the H as I didn't want the engine to overheat. I ended up getting it towed to my mechanic, where it's currently staying overnight for him to look at in the morning.

While I was waiting for the tow, I was wondering what might've caused the issue. So I opened the hood and it looked like a murder scene of coolant/anti-freeze. The tank, which I had just filled to the cold fill before I left was now almost completely empty. The main build up of coolant seemed to be around the intake/thermostat area. I was planning to get the lower thermostat housing changed once I made it to the mechanic. The lower housing was actually sitting right in my passenger seat.

The intake was also wet with coolant. It seems like the main build up was behind the thermostat area and one of it's neighbors, the intake manifold. I'm not sure if the design is as such, but the intake looks like it might have been cracked in the lower passenger side. I couldn't tell if it was the design or a crack. I hope and pray that its the lower thermostat housing because I can't afford to get the intake done right now and I really need my car again.

I have attached the link to some photos I took. http://imgur.com/3TcpDK1,k4fxeqF,4nKMGCK

One photo shows the thermostat housing. This was taken from the side when the alternator was off. The other photos show the intake and thermostat housing area. Can anyone tell me if the intake is supposed to look like this? The black, plastic part that I circled in red in both pictures show the area of my concern. Please tell me that it looks normal :( ..the mechanic will be in contact with me tomorrow regarding the issue. He wants to have a pressure test of the system done. I probably won't get to much sleep tonight from worrying about the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, since the temperature gauge was all over the place; is it safe to assume that the issue indeed IS the thermostat housing? I assume the sensors are in the thermo housing area. With that said, if the leak from the housing is bad enough; can it send the sensors crazy and give me the sporadic readings that I described above.

Also, since the temperature gauge was all over the place; is it safe to assume that the issue indeed IS the thermostat housing? I assume the sensors are in the thermo housing area. With that said, if the leak from the housing is bad enough; can it send the sensors crazy and give me the sporadic readings that I described above.

In your photo, the grey colored electrical plug just behind and to the right of the coolant hose is your "temp sensor" mounted in the top of the upper t-stat housing. Why your temp gauge is going crazy I am not sure. Just make sure you have the coolant level filled. The t-stat housing leaking is very common and not too hard to change and there are plenty of repair posts on this issue in the forum archives. No heat to the heater core or heat inside the vehicle could be due to a bad "heater control valve" which is located just behind and under the Alternator you just changed. It has heater hoses going in and out of it and if the valve goes bad, it blocks on the flow of coolant to the heater core and you don't get heat. Double check and make you didn't knock the grey colored vacuum hose off of this heater control valve when you changed out the Alternator. The vacuum hose just slips over a nipple on the heater control valve. Other cause of no heat, low coolant level and blocked heater core. I would start with the vacuum line to the heater control valve.

Thanks for the reply [MENTION=174058]Exproblems[/MENTION].

What you said seems to make sense. As soon as I get the vehicle back tomorrow, if I still have no heat; I'll check the hose that you mentioned. I thought I triple checked everything but it is likely that I might've accidentally knocked the hose off during the alternator install.

However, at the time I observed no heat; it was very low on coolant and despite my gauge approaching H, the engine didn't really feel "hot" once I stopped in the parking lot and went under the hood. I think that it's more likely to be from the low coolant level that you mentioned. The coolant was the lowest that I've ever seen it since I got the car over 5 1/2 years ago. It was almost empty.

I'm just hoping its not an intake issue because I really cant afford that right now. If it's just the lower thermostat housing, I'll be content because I already have the part; and worst case, I can attempt to tackle it myself. I've already changed the thermostat before so the lower housing shouldn't involve much more steps.

My mech will be taking it to Abbott Radiator tomorrow. I see that you're from OP, so thats kind of your area haha.

I doubt that its the valve itself because before my alternator died; I had great heat. It's highly likely that its the coolant level or the hose you mentioned. More likely the coolant level.

just an update; I don't think its the valve/hose. I took several photos during the process. I would post them here directly, but I don't know how to post photos.

In this, I can see the heater control valve and it looks like the hose is still attached. http://imgur.com/AjKNLft I'll check again tomorrow though just to be safe.

Also, I found old photos (I take lots of photos under the hood), and it seems like the "crack" in the intake manifold is actually the design so I don't think it's cracked.. At least if it is; it's not where I thought it was.

If the coolant loss was significant, two things would happen.

1. Temp sensor would not be in fluid, thus would only be reading air temp.
2. No fluid, or not enough fluid would flow thru the heater core.

Thanks [MENTION=226817]Number4[/MENTION]

I'm going to assume that it's the low coolant which was causing the no heat symptoms, and possibly even the sporadic and inaccurate readings for the engine temperature. I've never seen in behave the way it did earlier. I don't think the engine was actually about to overheat when the gauge said it was; but I wasn't going to take the chance and ruin my engine.

Thanks for the reply [MENTION=174058]Exproblems[/MENTION].

What you said seems to make sense. As soon as I get the vehicle back tomorrow, if I still have no heat; I'll check the hose that you mentioned. I thought I triple checked everything but it is likely that I might've accidentally knocked the hose off during the alternator install.

However, at the time I observed no heat; it was very low on coolant and despite my gauge approaching H, the engine didn't really feel "hot" once I stopped in the parking lot and went under the hood. I think that it's more likely to be from the low coolant level that you mentioned. The coolant was the lowest that I've ever seen it since I got the car over 5 1/2 years ago. It was almost empty.

My mech will be taking it to Abbott Radiator tomorrow. I see that you're from OP, so thats kind of your area haha.

Being that low on coolant, that was probably the reason for no heat, but the heater control valve vacuum hose doesn't need much of a bump to knock it off the nipple it seats on. I wouldn't worry so much about the intake manifold being the problem, more like a crack in the old t-stat housing. You can get a complete OE Dorman t-stat housing (comes with the lower housing, new t-stat and cover cap and O-ring seals). They run approx. $90 at Advance Auto Parts and if you use a coupon from www.couponcabin.com for Advance, you can save $40 off of that price. Just have to make your order comes to a min. of $100 to use the $40 off coupon. If you try and repair it yourself, make sure to look up the old posts on what to do. Yes, I know Abbott Radiator located on Abbott Rd, Lackawanna, N.Y. all too well and the owner is a guy named "Nelson Tedesco". He's been in the radiator business for a few decades and knows his stuff. He's quite the character. Good luck with Nelson! :thumbsup:

Well, problem resolved.

It was the thermostat housing that was the problem. I needed a new housing (which I had), a bolt (because one had to be broken off as it was frozen inside the housing), a new thermostat and a new sensor. When they did the pressure test, it was clear that the housing was the issue. They also put in antifreeze because I was running near empty.

There were no issues with the intake. It turns out that where I thought was cracked; is actually the design after all -_-

Also, I've got heat again! I guess it was the low coolant level that was causing it. I'm up and running once more.

As usual, thanks again everyone! This forum is the best!

Well, problem resolved.

It was the thermostat housing that was the problem. I needed a new housing (which I had), a bolt (because one had to be broken off as it was frozen inside the housing), a new thermostat and a new sensor. When they did the pressure test, it was clear that the housing was the issue. They also put in antifreeze because I was running near empty.

There were no issues with the intake. It turns out that where I thought was cracked; is actually the design after all -_-

Also, I've got heat again! I guess it was the low coolant level that was causing it. I'm up and running once more.

As usual, thanks again everyone! This forum is the best!

Did you have 'Nelson" do the repair for you or did you do it yourself? If Abbott Radiator did it, I'm kind of surprised Nelson let you use your own part and not had one purchased thru his shop. BTW, how much did Nelson charge for the repair if he did it? Just curious!

Did you have 'Nelson" do the repair for you or did you do it yourself? If Abbott Radiator did it, I'm kind of surprised Nelson let you use your own part and not had one purchased thru his shop. BTW, how much did Nelson charge for the repair if he did it? Just curious!

I had them pressure test it at Abbott Radiator, and they diagnosed the issue was indeed the thermostat housing.

My mechanic from Mavis Discount Tire on Ridge Rd took it over and brought it back after the pressure test. And then they changed my thermostat housing because it wasn't busy there.

I had them pressure test it at Abbott Radiator, and they diagnosed the issue was indeed the thermostat housing.

My mechanic from Mavis Discount Tire on Ridge Rd took it over and brought it back after the pressure test. And then they changed my thermostat housing because it wasn't busy there.

I got it now, Mavis did the repair work. I know that place as well and have been there many a time over the years. I drive by it everyday on my way to the gym "Planet Fitness" down on Ridge Rd, West Seneca, NY. Mavis was called "Cole Muffler and Brake Shop" for quite a few years before becoming Mavis Tire. My mechanic (Don) is at LA Automotive on Abbott Rd. a few hundred feet up the street from Mavis. LA sends their cars to Mavis for wheel alignments.

Yupp. Mavis did the work. I followed the mechanic from his old location on Sheridan out to his new location in Lackawanna. Yes I know LA Automotive as well, I've passed there a few times. It's a small world haha

Yupp. Mavis did the work. I followed the mechanic from his old location on Sheridan out to his new location in Lackawanna. Yes I know LA Automotive as well, I've passed there a few times. It's a small world haha

What school do you go to, UB or Buff State? If you ever need mechanical work, Don at LA Automotive is honest and reasonably priced. He won't sell you something you do not need.

I'm at UB. And thanks, that's good to know! I'll definitely keep that in mind because good mechanics are few and far in between.

Back