anti lock brakes? WTF?

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi, I LOVE anti lock brakes, but...

My 92 has 'em (yup, Rear only) the trouble light turns on when I start up, then goes off, never comes on again. Brakes feel terrific, great!

The problem, I do not think the anti-lock system is working! I am familiar with the sensation, and nada. No pulse at the pedal, just smooth sailing.

Lock up tight on snow and dirt, meaning that on snow, going slow, if I floor the brakes, they 'seem' to just lock up and skid. On my subie, they pulse. Explorer, no pulse...

So, if the self test is working, then the brakes are.....?

Ideas??

Thanks for Giving me a Brake!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well most of your braking % is done with the front, so if the rear has ABS and the front doesnt, youll lock up but that seems pretty stupid to have one half of a vehicles brakes in abs..

Blame the Ford engineers for that bright idea.

The concept is a good one it is designed to keep you from sliding sidways in a lock up situation. Want to test it out go and lock up on say an 89 chevy pickup vs your explorer. You will love your explorer that much more afterward!

OK! I get it, Lock Up is possibly something that we all veer away from, I know I do! heheh

But seriously, mine are not working, but the self test, as much as it is, does, meaning that the dashlight test-key on, lit, engine starts, light off. - as it is supposed to.

So, I try the cheapest first?

I guess it is 'possible' that the fronts are locking up, while there rears are not, but if I am assuming that I would be able to feel /sense the anti-lock pulse? I do on the Subie!:rolleyes:

Yea,I have a 94 and they pulse.Does it really bother you? If not the heck with it,drive it.:D

Right On! Yea, I'm driving it, just trying to get stuff working.

Actually, the ABS is low on my list after;

º bad lifter noise, T-case motor, Ferrari Upgrade, new tires etc.

E

My '93 with 4WABS will pulse the brakes and you def know its on. Unfortunately
I haven't tested an explorer with RABS and don't know how much different it would be vs 4WABS. I would assume when the ABS computer detects rear lock up and signals the Hydraulic control unit (HCU) to pulse the rear brake line you would hear it and feel it through the brake pedal.

Unlike front wheel ABS where each front brake is individually controlled by the HCU, the rear brakes are controlled as a pair. As such the feeling and noise associated with RABS maybe much less noticeable then 4WABS..

I have a 91 x the only time i have ever felt or heard the abs was in the summer when the roads were wet. I live in alaska so its icy 8 months out of the year and i never hear it when im sliding to a stop but i do slide strait where as my wife starts to slide sidways in her chevy pu. Just cause you dont hear or feel it does not mean its bad but you may want to take it to a shop and make sure your rear brakes are ajusted correctally.

while my 92's rear abs dont work properly, I know how the system works. unlike 4 wheel abs, that uses a large valve body and motors to control the pulsing (which is why you feel it in the pedal), the rear wheel only system is part of the rear porportioning valve. basically it just lowers the rear brake pressure (until the lockup stops). also, it only uses 1 speed sensor (mounted on the pumpkin, near drive shaft if I recall, so if you only have 1 wheel locked, the other still lets the driveshaft spin.

Back