Antifreeze smell inside of car...heater core going bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Antifreeze smell inside of car...heater core going bad

Joeymustang

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hey guys,

Since yesterday I'm getting this musky nasty smell of antifreeze inside the car when the vents are set for circulating the air inside. Seems to me that the heater core has gone bad.

Since I've just ticked 37,400 miles and I'm out of the bumper to bumper warranty, I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a service manual for this car. I had one online for the Mustang but cant seem to find one for the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

Since yesterday I'm getting this musky nasty smell of antifreeze inside the car when the vents are set for circulating the air inside. Seems to me that the heater core has gone bad.

Since I've just ticked 37,400 miles and I'm out of the bumper to bumper warranty, I was wondering if anyone know where I can find a service manual for this car. I had one online for the Mustang but cant seem to find one for the Explorer.

It might be covered under the Powertrain warranty.

Is it more noticeable under hard acceleration? I'm noticing that just recently I'm getting the same thing in my 2011 Edge Sport.

Is it more noticeable under hard acceleration? I'm noticing that just recently I'm getting the same thing in my 2011 Edge Sport.

well, to be honest I have a heavy foot lol, but I'll pay attention to that now.

I let the car in the garage with the windows open for the whole weekend and it doesn't smell as bad, still get a little smell behind it.

...I let the car in the garage with the windows open for the whole weekend and it doesn't smell as bad, still get a little smell behind it.

Hi Joeymustang,

I wanted to touch base with you and see how this is going. Are you still experiencing the smell? If so, I want to get your case escalated and into the hands of your regional customer service manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Crystal

Crystal,

Why are you trying to 'escalate' this problem since the op never mentioned taking the vehicle to a Ford dealer? All they seemed to be asking for was a service manual.

Ford paid half of the parts and labor for a thermostat replacement for my truck. My truck was outside of warranty but I did contact ford customer service. Crystal may be trying to just get this in their hands to see if they will do something for you since you are so close to being in warranty.

Never hurts to be polite and ask.

It just seemed to me that wanting to 'escalate' something that wasn't even in the system might take away from some future need for an escalation if everything gets escalated right from the start. There was no opportunity, in this case, for a local dealership to investigate the issue and make a determination on how best to fix it (warranty or not).

It has been my experience that when issues get escalated right from the start, people's toes get stepped on that could have handled the issue in a prompt manner. Getting management involved in this case did not follow any sort of chain-of-command that Ford currently has established.

I hope the OP gets their issue resolved in a timely manner or, they get a service manual so that they can attempt to fix the problem on their own.

Dude... chill. What is the problem with Ford offering to help the OP out? Wait until they do something offensive to get amped up, Crystal is offering to help out.

You have all of 6 posts on this forum, we treat people with respect here until they prove they do not do the same. Even then we do not flame, we simply kick them out.

Also, a musty smell is usually caused by a good crop of mould in the air box, antifreeze smells sweet.

ELE...

Hi Joeymustang,

I wanted to touch base with you and see how this is going. Are you still experiencing the smell? If so, I want to get your case escalated and into the hands of your regional customer service manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Crystal

I'll send you my information through PM. I haven't smelled it as bad as the time when I did the post, but I have smelled it.

@ hdking, there seems to be a TSB regarding a similar issue, so when things like this pop up, its good for Ford to know. If its something that shows in X amount of cars then it could be taken into consideration for a recall. But if they don't document things like Crystal does, how would they know?

Crystal,

Why are you trying to 'escalate' this problem since the op never mentioned taking the vehicle to a Ford dealer? All they seemed to be asking for was a service manual.

Hi hdking,

Thanks for the feedback. Case escalations are just another tool we use to get customer concerns addressed; they work in conjunction with dealership visits and serve to document what our customers experience. Since the OP's concern seemed to be ongoing, I wanted to make an effort to do what I can to find a solution.

Crystal

Back