Antifreeze smell out of the tail pipe when it's running! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Antifreeze smell out of the tail pipe when it's running!

KA3NXN

It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
2002 Explorer with a 4.6L. Am I possibly looking at a head gasket? There is no smell after I shut her off, and it's pretty strong when running and it looks like steam coming out of the tail pipe even after she's warmed up. She seems to be running pretty well, no loss of power. She does sputter a little at stop lights, but never stalls.

Ideas?

Jaime

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well when cold the rich smell can smell a lot like antifreeze. You need a good 30 mile drive at 70+ mph to burn and dry the cats and muffler out then smell it.

Best thing is a combustion gas test on the coolant.

I have a 40 mile highway drive home and when I get home I don't get the odor at all. It's only when I first start it from being cold.

`Check the level of the coolant. If it is going down over time then you likely have a blown head gasket.

`Check the level of the coolant. If it is going down over time then you likely have a blown head gasket.
I mark mine while hot with a black marker

It has gone down The other day when I checked it the reservoir was almost completely empty

Head gasket time imo
If you have no coolant leaks

That sux

The nice thing is that I’m really familiar with taking the engine apart. Last year I had to put a new intake and timing guides. I wish I had done the head gaskets then.

Head gasket. Consider your self lucky that you have the 4.6

Back