• Register Today It's free!

Antifreeze

2021fordexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT.
Hello, new to the forum, I just purchased a new 2021 Ford Explorer XLT at the end of November 2021. After two weeks the transmission cooler leaked. Dealership replaced it under the new car warranty. 6 days later I started the car remotely at 5:30am. I live in NH so it was very cold outside. When I arrived at the car the warning system was on and the overheating light indicated the car was overheating. Also the powertrain light was. I turned off the vehicle and checked under it for any fluid on the ground. None found. I popped the hood to check the overflow tank and it was empty. I called roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealership. When I pick it up after they repair it, i was told that upon arrival at the dealership the vehicle was in “limp mode” and all of the fluids were full including the overflow tank. (The tank was empty when it left my house on the towed truck). They said they found a connector not properly connected. It was “loosely just sitting there intermittently not making contact connector 1061 Circuit ve716 yellow it does not appear the connector was fully seated and when the car started hitting some rough roads it pooped off”. I don’t understand how the overflow tank was empty at my house and filled itself while being towed. I also don‘t understand how the connector “popped off” while just sitting in my driveway. Finally, I don‘t have to wiring diagram to investigate the circuit and connector functions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I fear that when they replaced the transmission cooler, they had to drain the antifreeze and forgot to refill the system and I inadvertently drove the vehicle for about 150 miles will no antifreeze over 6 days. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, new to the forum, I just purchased a new 2021 Ford Explorer XLT at the end of November 2021. After two weeks the transmission cooler leaked. Dealership replaced it under the new car warranty. 6 days later I started the car remotely at 5:30am. I live in NH so it was very cold outside. When I arrived at the car the warning system was on and the overheating light indicated the car was overheating. Also the powertrain light was. I turned off the vehicle and checked under it for any fluid on the ground. None found. I popped the hood to check the overflow tank and it was empty. I called roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealership. When I pick it up after they repair it, i was told that upon arrival at the dealership the vehicle was in “limp mode” and all of the fluids were full including the overflow tank. (The tank was empty when it left my house on the towed truck). They said they found a connector not properly connected. It was “loosely just sitting there intermittently not making contact connector 1061 Circuit ve716 yellow it does not appear the connector was fully seated and when the car started hitting some rough roads it pooped off”. I don’t understand how the overflow tank was empty at my house and filled itself while being towed. I also don‘t understand how the connector “popped off” while just sitting in my driveway. Finally, I don‘t have to wiring diagram to investigate the circuit and connector functions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I fear that when they replaced the transmission cooler, they had to drain the antifreeze and forgot to refill the system and I inadvertently drove the vehicle for about 150 miles will no antifreeze over 6 days. Thank you.
Do yourself a favor and go to another dealership …

Hello, new to the forum, I just purchased a new 2021 Ford Explorer XLT at the end of November 2021. .................................................
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The reason it went into 'Fail Safe Cooling' mode is because the engine was overheating. The reason it was overheating was due to a lack of coolant.
The reason there was a lack of coolant is anyone's guess at this point. Not topping up the coolant level after the repair is a very likely cause.

Peter

Dealership does not want to admit they messed up. Luckily, your car decided something was wrong and i doubt any damage was done, but it is incredibly inconvenient.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The reason it went into 'Fail Safe Cooling' mode is because the engine was overheating. The reason it was overheating was due to a lack of coolant.
The reason there was a lack of coolant is anyone's guess at this point. Not topping up the coolant level after the repair is a very likely cause.

Peter
Do yourself a favor and go to another dealership …

This + this...

When I picked up mine in May 2020 and drove home, I started reading the book [see Peter? :cool:] while looking under the hood and noticed my coolant way below the recommended line.

Drove to another dealership and the manager came out with additional coolant. He then showed me 3 prepped and ready to go Explorers and 3 which hadn't gone through the prep process as of yet. There prepped ones were full while the unprepped ones were at the same level as my original level.

I have gone to my original dealer exactly zero times since then...

Jay

When I picked up mine in May 2020 and drove home, I started reading the book [see Peter? :cool:]....................................................................
:D :thumbsup:

Thanks
This + this...

When I picked up mine in May 2020 and drove home, I started reading the book [see Peter? :cool:] while looking under the hood and noticed my coolant way below the recommended line.

Drove to another dealership and the manager came out with additional coolant. He then showed me 3 prepped and ready to go Explorers and 3 which hadn't gone through the prep process as of yet. There prepped ones were full while the unprepped ones were at the same level as my original level.

I have gone to my original dealer exactly zero times since then...

Jay
I didn’t know that. Thank for the info. Great advise from everyone. Thank you all for the input.

Back