Any 1992 Ford Aerostars still on the road? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any 1992 Ford Aerostars still on the road?

SailorSailor

Reaction score
City, State
Shallow Lake, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL
Our 1992 Ford Aerostar with just 136,000 kilometres is starting to show its age. 18 1/2 car years must be the equivalent of at least 80 in human years, you have to expect things to start slowing down and maybe stop working. Just wondering how many Ford Aerostars are still on the road, what kind of kilometres or miles are on them, and if you have had any major repairs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the Aerostar section. I once saw an Aerostar with close to 300,000 miles for sale. They last a long time if you take care of them. What kind of issues does your 92 have?

The body is still in good shape, but are having problems with the transmission. It has been a good reliable vehicle all these years.

Have had the seals replaced twice. Sometimes, when shifting into drive or reverse, the vehicle won't move right away. Just wanted to find an easy way to remove transmission fluid and replace it with gunk that is good for seals.

Hello & Welcome to this Aerostar forum, Sailor Sailor,
I have a 93 & 95. My 93 is an AWD and recently ate it's transfercase. It has 260,000 US Miles, or 10,000 over a quarter million miles. I also have a 95 with 240,000 US miles on it. There are several Aerostars in the town I live in. Even some early ones 1985 -1991 are running around down here.

As for your Aerostar, transmission I'd suggest you not put any sort of Miracle Stuff from a can in your A/T to cure a problem. It may or may not make a difference in the short term, but it will not repair anything & long term it may do more harm than anything else. Mechanics & Technicians do not come in containers on a shelf.

I will state however, Big Problems very well can come in them. Adding "Seal Doctor" may in the short term cause seals to swell up slightly, but it reduces both longevity & functionality, plus it usually eventually destroys most friction surfaces on Bands & Clutches plus allows residue to contaminate valve bodies & servos which make an A/T work and actually function correctly.

Before I go any farther, what powertrain combination does your '92 Aerostar have in it ? What engine size & what drive train [RWD or AWD] ? When is it hesitant to engage only when Hot, or only when Cold, or Both @ Anytime?

CIAO
FBp

replace or repair the transmission and it'll last a long time.

calculating "car years" to "human years" doesn't really make sense, since a machine can live forever, a human cant. there are model A's still on the road that run like new, anything will last if you take care of it.

Our 1992 Ford Aerostar with just 136,000 kilometres is starting to show its age. 18 1/2 car years must be the equivalent of at least 80 in human years, you have to expect things to start slowing down and maybe stop working. Just wondering how many Ford Aerostars are still on the road, what kind of kilometres or miles are on them, and if you have had any major repairs.
New guy here - first POST
Not sure on 92's but I pick up a 94 Aerostar ($1,595) this coming Monday Jan 3,2011 - drove it today..runs fine..gobs of torque (3.1L V6) I noticed a (I think pretty common) power steering whine..steers OK with 1 finger. Put $$ down today to hold it and THEN began researching it and found this site. I am so very pleased to learn the Aero's are a rear wheel drive truck (mine is not 4wd model) and have proven reliability. Really hard to find any 'bad press' on these anywhere on the net. This 94' shows 179,000..runs like 7,900 showing!!
I expect I'll be in here a lot as I am retired..glad I found this site. Wonder what PS unit replacement by a mechanic might run me??...it whines but as I've learned it may well run a long time with that whine..still I want it fixed so it's quiet. OK !!

Thank you and I will do so...Happy New Year.

Welcome to this forum! Add some Lucas P/S additive to the reservoir.

Meant to ask if that is the Lucas Power Steering "Stop Leak' ? My P/S issue is whine (no leaks I can see) so I want to be sure.

Also would you or anyone comment please on this: I have read all the stories about Ford P/S whine and even where rebuilt units with new fluid and all were worse than the old P/S it replaced. Some in a Mustang forum say just turn up ther radio!! Is the whine un-fixable -and- is it truly a pig-in-a-poke if a replacement P/S would not whine? TY - pick up my 94 Aerostar XLT this monday...been walking for a year..ex got my Bonneville..bless her heart!

Hello everyone this is my very first post on the sight. I have a 1992 aerostar with 112,000 miles on it, very well taken care of and as you can tell not drove much. I bought it from an older lady back in the summer, I like driving it. But lately everytime I go anywhere in it I worry if im walking back. Everytime I shut it off it takes forever to start backup and then it runs really rough, cant put your foot in the pedal or it falls flat on its face. I pretty sure it needs a tune up and working it slowly. I have gone through the fuel and exhuast side. Hooked up a reader for the codes becuase the check engine light was on but could not get it read (and knowing it is a good code checker). Before I drain my wallet on sensors just exactly how many could it be that is bad. I really am enjoying reading this stuff on here glad I found this sight.

Welcome to this forum! You don't need a code reader to read the codes on these vehicles. You could jump the EEC-IV connector under the hood with a wire or a paper clip, and count the flashes of the check engine light. Did you clean the IAC solenoid or the MAF sensor? Check the fuel pressure, and replace the fuel filter as well.

Back