Any advice on 2013 Explorer purchase? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any advice on 2013 Explorer purchase?

Sabers am

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Dear members,
We are considering the purchase of a new 2013 Explorer Limited. Help me decide!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to our forum:chug:

I'm going to move your post into our Stock 2011 Explorer subforum.

Dear members,
Welcome to the Forum Sabers am.:wavey:
I'm sure the members here will help you as best they can. What exactly are you trying to decide. The Limited can be loaded with many things. The only suggestion I have at the moment is that if are contemplating the all weather mats, you would be better of getting Husky or WeatherTech floor mats. Better protection all around. The cargo mats are also available from both companies.
I have the 2011 Limited and have been very pleased with it.

Peter

welcome aboard. I just purchased a 2013 XLT and love it.

Suggestions? buy as much car as you can afford barring that I would stay away from the ecoboost 4 cylinder not because it is a bad engine, it is not, but because of the weight to power ratio vs the added cost of the motor. What you gain in mpg is really not that much.

Later this year the turbo 6 eco will be out. Great power but the question will be price.
AWD version will help if you live where they get a lot of snow.

Other then that, you might want to have the tow package for lite towing.

I have a 2013 XLT with the MFT option, the tow package, power rear door (for the wife and kid), and the 20" wheels. I live in Florida so I do not need the AWD. The EX is a very quiet and solid vehicle. It tracks and drives extremely well. My gas mileage has been great. Around town I have consistently gotten 20 to 21 and on the highway 24 to 25. On one highway trip going 55 to 60 mph I got 31 plus mpg ( this is not a mistake). I had a slight issue with the MFT when I bought it and they had to replace a part but it's been fine since. I guess they had issues in the past with the A pillar and roof noise, but those bugs were worked out a long time ago. If you are going to buy a 2013 you will be OK. Another good thing about the 2013 is it is a Flex fuel vehicle, so if the government requires more ethanol to be mixed in with gas this engine will be alright. Also I would not get the Ecoboost. I drove it and this SUV is too heavy for the 4 cylinder turbo, it felt very sluggish. Also I question whether the gas mileage is much better then the six. Overall we have been very pleased and would recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Before you buy the vehicle and take delivery, make sure there are no scratches, make sure they remove all the adhesive from the rims if they have the plastic baggy like sticky covers on it. Check if everything is working. Check around to see if everything is there like the Nav card if you bought an Explorer with Nav.

Pretty much that's it and enjoy your new Explorer. =)

I'd suggest buying another car, but I'm one of the few people around here that is really unhappy with the Explorer.

As stated by 1995e, inspect your vehicle thoroughly before accepting delivery. Our 2012 silver limited had something called seeding in the paint all over the car and ford offered only to repaint. This was not acceptable, should not have to paint a new car as this makes it worth considerably less when going to trade, and after much discussion and complaining the dealer not ford motor company replaced the vehicle with one that did not have this problem.

As stated by 1995e, inspect your vehicle thoroughly before accepting delivery. Our 2012 silver limited had something called seeding in the paint all over the car and ford offered only to repaint. This was not acceptable, should not have to paint a new car as this makes it worth considerably less when going to trade, and after much discussion and complaining the dealer not ford motor company replaced the vehicle with one that did not have this problem.
Welcome to the Forum tuin42man.:wavey:
Always nice to see new members come aboard. I'm happy to see that your dealer was able to step up and solve the problem.
Happy motoring.

Peter

Dear members,
Welcome to the boards, Sabers am! As you can see, many of the members here love their Explorer. :D

Welcome to our forum:chug:...
...I have the 2011 Limited and have been very pleased with it...
welcome aboard. I just purchased a 2013 XLT and love it...
...Overall we have been very pleased and would recommend this vehicle to anyone.
...Pretty much that's it and enjoy your new Explorer. =)
Rick, Peter, Kjeffery, bamacommander, & 1995E,

That’s the warm welcome and help that makes this an awesome community. :)

...I'm one of the few people around here that is really unhappy with the Explorer.
harlenm,

I sent you a follow-up PM; please see your inbox for the details.

...after much discussion and complaining the dealer not ford motor company replaced the vehicle with one that did not have this problem.
I’m glad your concern was taken care of, tuin42man.

Cory

Thanks to everyone. A special thanks to everyone that mentioned the tow package. We almost bought the unit without checking.

Back