Any advice on aftermarket online wheel vendors/brands for 3rd gens? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any advice on aftermarket online wheel vendors/brands for 3rd gens?

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Pretty much the title.
Not looking for anything fancy, I would like 18" wheels, alloy would be nice, black if possible.
My main concern is hub centric and to move the wheel away from the UCAs. Not sure if back spacing and offset is the same thing. Stock is 4.5" back spacing, or +44 offset.
So I would need something like 0-+35 offset? depending on the wheel width of course?

Anyhelp would be appreciated. I really would like 18" to get more clearance from the rear toe links and the UCAs uniball.

TIA guys/gals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?
I have 17'' factory that are flaking and not holding air.
I would like 18" that will move the inside of the tire away from the UCAs and give alittle room for rear toe links with zert fittings.

I have not had any luck finding aftermarket 18'' that are hub centric. Is that possible without going custom?

Most MB wheels I’ve seen have “spacers” that make them hub centric. That way they make one wheel, and then cheaper spacers to make them fit properly. I ran them for years on my first Subaru and they held up nice.

Offset and backspacing aren’t the same thing.

I would not put offset wheels on these things with their weak bearings...

I don't understand why you want to put a bigger wheel size on a 4x4? Most would want a smaller wheel size with a larger tire. Look at Jeep Wranglers running 14" wheels...

I've noticed the larger the wheel size the more limited the all terrain tire selection is.

Anyway I'd look at Tire Rack and Discount Tire Co.

I can’t imagine many Wranglers are running 14s..... I guarantee there is more aggressive tire choices for 18s than 14s.

I'll have to get some pictures, the rear toe links are an issue, if you have replaced original with geaseable ones I dont see a 16" wheel fitting. With BTF upper control arms, 265/70/17 are very close to the uniball/spindle.

CL is your friend

I can’t imagine many Wranglers are running 14s..... I guarantee there is more aggressive tire choices for 18s than 14s.

Some of the Saharas came with 18 inch wheels. Jeepers that do a lot of off road playing are frequently switching back to the 15 inch wheels to get more tire sidewall for better rock crawling. It is pretty common actually. I don't know any that went to 14s but there might be a few out there trying it.

15s make sense, there’s a large oversized tire availability for them.

Tire sizes are moving to the bigger wheels, because fewer vehicles have 15's or 16's anymore. 16" tires used to be growing in popularity when 15's were standard. Now 16's are very scarce for choices, due to everything going 17-20" from the factory. 15's will always be popular due to the off roading, but they have fewer choices now also.

To the OP, search by wheel weight also, most aftermarket wheels are very heavy, compared to comparable OEM sized wheels, or high end brands. I have some old 18's that I will get rid of when I wear out the tires in the next three months I figure. These were 72.5lbs with 265/60 tires I bought them with. I've moved down in tires size and the 255/55's now total about 64-65lbs, I forget. I think these wheels weigh around 32lbs each, that's a bunch for a wheel. The 17's I'll replace them with are 22lbs each, a forged Volk 17" wheel.

If I had these tires used up I'd give you these wheels for testing. These are Moven 18x8.5", 35mm offset, originally Mercedes wheels and cut for inserts to move the bolt pattern.

FYI, 9mm is just under 3/8", stock being 44mm, 35mm is slightly moved outward, no trouble for any hubs, bearings.

I have similar air loss on my 17” OEM now on the end of the third set of BFG that came stock. If you aren’t off roaring spun wheel weight is your concern. Those BFG available now are Very Heavy. I’ve been interested I 18” as well but light. deals look great but they are heavy too

I have similar air loss on my 17” OEM now on the end of the third set of BFG that came stock. If you aren’t off roaring spun wheel weight is your concern. Those BFG available now are Very Heavy. I’ve been interested I 18” as well but light. deals look great but they are heavy too

I have stripped down my oem wheels. There is oxidation around both beads on all 5. Oxidation around the air valves too .
In the process of cleaning them all up .

In regards to earlier posts. This is why I wanted 18" with what I assume would be more backspacing. Not to mention the rear toe links being maybe a 1/4" or less from inside of rim. Not sure how 16" fit on these.

IMG_20190209_203825080.jpg

With larger diameter wheels, you can be okay with less tire clearance. The shorter sidewall doesn't move as much side to side. That looks too close pictured above, but it matters high up the wheel is, or how high up the tire goes there from the wheel.

Back