• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

any advice on balljoints?

renegade1

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
:rolleyes: plan on putting new lower ball joints on the X thursday. tmrw im going to get penetrating oil and let everything soak. I already read the writeup on changing them - but other than freezing the balljoints before hand is there any advice you guys could give? such as what caused problems for you guys or what NOT to do? (shes a 2wd if that makes a difference)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

2TimingTom

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Make sure you have a socket that fits the NEW ball joint castle nut. That cost me a trip to the store today. The Moog ball joint comes with a castle nut that's larger than anything I had. So I took the nut to the store and found a socket (of course I forgot what it was- it just fits).

Also, I didn't freeze the new ball joint (although that's not a horrible idea) and the floor jack trick didn't work. But you can configure the ball joint press to press in the new joint.

renegade1

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
Make sure you have a socket that fits the NEW ball joint castle nut. That cost me a trip to the store today. The Moog ball joint comes with a castle nut that's larger than anything I had. So I took the nut to the store and found a socket (of course I forgot what it was- it just fits).

Also, I didn't freeze the new ball joint (although that's not a horrible idea) and the floor jack trick didn't work. But you can configure the ball joint press to press in the new joint.
thanx! im using Moog's too so ill make sure i have the right sockets before i take my truck apart. did you buy your press or rent it from the parts store?

2TimingTom

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Rented it. $100. I was the first one to rent this one- it was clean and zip-tied shut (and the store just opened). I'll return it tomorrow for my refund. I don't see how it's possible to do it without one with the lower control arm still on the truck.

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger

jd944

Reaction score
City, State
Palm Harbor, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Limited, 4X4
Last edited:

2TimingTom

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
sometimes hittng the control arm while pressing them out makes it easier
Yeah. I'd give the press a few turns and it would be really difficult to turn anymore and the joint wasn't moving. Then I hit the control arm with my BFH and it made a loud pop sound and then the press was easier to turn. Had to do that a few times on the right side.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Placing a floor jack under the control arm (without obstructing anything), remove the retaining ring, remove the bleeder (if it has one), and smack the ball joint downwards until it comes out. All the ones I've done, have released and were removed with 3-4 good smacks with a 5 lb mini sledge.

Pretty sure the castle nut is a 28mm.

2TimingTom

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
The castle nut on the OEM ball joint and the replacement Moog were different- that's all I know. I bought an SAE sized socket for the Moog- 1-1/16" and it fits perfectly. I don't remember what I used on the OEM. I do know it wasn't 28mm.

renegade1

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
just PB'd everything to let it sit overnight... hopefully tmrw all goes well and i dont break anything. will let you guys know how all works out - thanks for the info/advice! :thumbsup:

Keeper0311

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
So if I'm reading you post right Gman, a little bit of brute force will get the ball joint out? And getting it back in in similar fashion? Looking to replace my ball joints and front wheel hubs in one go.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
So if I'm reading you post right Gman, a little bit of brute force will get the ball joint out? And getting it back in in similar fashion? Looking to replace my ball joints and front wheel hubs in one go.
Pound them out, press them in.

You can use a floor jack and a properly placed deep well socket to put them back in. Jack up the control arm using the socket to press the new one in. Tap the control arm down, and it should pop in place.

Keeper0311

Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4x4
Pound them out, press them in.

You can use a floor jack and a properly placed deep well socket to put them back in. Jack up the control arm using the socket to press the new one in. Tap the control arm down, and it should pop in place.
Sweet. No ball joint press needed.

2TimingTom

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
The floor jack method didn't work for me. I could lift the Explorer off the jack stand with the floor jack, smack the control arm and nothing. Works for some, not for others.

renegade1

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
well just did mine this morning and it was a piece of cake! didnt even use a press. BFH to get the old ones out then jack the new one in and BFH the control arm. only problem i had was the knuckle didnt want to come off the old lower BJ. had to hammer out the old one with it still on the knuckle then smack it out once off the truck but other than that went smoothly. thanks to the PB didnt have a single stuck bolt! all in all took maybe 3 hours including a break for food. when i took it for a drive i almost thought something was wrong cuz this truck has never steered this easy! used to have to give the steering wheel a little to turn but now even with 31's she turns effortlessly

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Very good! Congrats!

I forgot to mention that heating the old ball joint stud with a propane torch for a minute will release the hold on the knuckle. Wish I would have mentioned it, sorry bout that.

Glad you got it repaired yourself, how much $$ do you think you saved doing this on your own?

renegade1

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
well i spent 80 on the ball joints and thats all i had to buy. the shop would probly charge maybe 100 in parts. plus labor? low ball estimate would be saved roughly 200. not to mention it took me less time to change them at home than it would have taken me to go to the shop, drop off the truck, go back and pick it up, etc. and time = money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.