Any advice on the best oil filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any advice on the best oil filter?

ukdal1

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys and gals. I have been doing alot of work on the Mounty in the last month (new alternator, new radiator, etc.) or so and I have come to realize I'm a big boy now and I need to do my own oil changes. :p: Anyway, I've been putting in synthetic and I'm wondering what is the best type of oil filter to use. I have a 98 Mounty 5.0. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the best is the new bosch in my opinion but puralator pureone is good too. Bosch holds twice as more and is a hell of a lot more expensive. Both boast 99.9% effeciency and I know the puralator has been tested true. Puralator pureone (gold one) is what I use.

Mobil 1

Mobil 1 oil filters are pretty good too. I went to Bobistheoilguy.com and found some info on its filtering capabilities and it beat most of the other name brands other than the PureOne, which nobody near me even carries.

Good Lord, anything but Fram... :D

I'm a Motorcraft guy, never had an issue with a MF filter, even when I was drag racing my Mustang. The PureOne seems to be popular now in some circles though...

i've tried a few different ones in the past listed above. but i am a Motorcraft guy as well. use them for my oil and trans filters.

Dead Link Removed.

Dead Link Removed

Goes well with Dead Link Removed.

Dead Link Removed

^^^ what he said ^^^

+1 for the Purolater Pureone filter. The gold one with the nice grip. thats all i run

I wouldn't put myself in a Toyota.:D

That's one of the best comments I've seen lately. The funny part is I thought the exact same thing. :D

Motocraft and puralator are supposedly the same filter... and all I would put on my truck

right now im rockin a motorcraft, but i hear the mobil one, purelator and K&N are good. i have a K&N ima use in a bit.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!! On that note......I put in synthetic. How often to change the oil and filter? I'm going to do it every 5k I think. Any input?

I heard 5K 7K and 10K from different people...

I just switched myself, I'm going to go 5 or 6 K this time and see how bad the oil is, then make a decision if to go longer

remember the first time after switching you're going to clean out some gook, so dont be afraid to change it a little sooner than you will later on

I use Amsoil full flow EAO11 oil filter on my 4.0 SOHC. I think they are top notch. I have never cut one open before. I put 10k miles on my last Amsoil filter and the oil analysis came back better than what most people run at the normal oil intervals.

I also run Amsoil oil.

10k miles is a safe interval IF the oil has enough additives for long change intervals. The bottle will say on it if the stuff is good for long intervals. The only difference in long interval oil is that it contains a higher concentration of additives to go farther, I believe.

But I think that most all big brand full synthetics all now contain enough additives for extended intervals.

I wouldn't put myself in a Toyota.:D

Nice :D

Neither would I put a Yota in my garage:D I'll stick with an old F-150 that might catch fire after its parked or an oder Exploder that might roll any day to a yota:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just don't put it in a Toyota...

Dead Link Removed

so wait... the filter can prevent enough flow to starve the engine so yota decided to bypass the filter??? STUPID MOVE. it'd be better to increase the oil preasure... and people wonder why toyota is losing sales...

Back