Any Aftermarket brands for our Suspension? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Aftermarket brands for our Suspension?

Did the Steeda sway bar and trailing arms today, not difficult just time consuming. Watch YouTube Nocturnal Performance video on the sway bar install, good stuff. The trailing arms are not too difficult, getting them situated so the bolts go thru is the worst part, lots of lube on the bushings that’s go to the subframe helps. Can be done on ramps without removing the wheels, the bolts have to be torqued under load anyway so as not to preload the bushing. I was unable to torque to factory specs on ramps, 122 ft lbs to the pivot point, 111 ft lbs at the knuckle, so 110 and 100 seem to work well. Truck feels very solid and planted, noticeable improvement in steering response

Sounds like a winner - thank you for your review & feedback!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long did the install take? My RSB will be here tomorrow.
I'm sure you already installed and are loving it by this time, but mine took a little over an hour to install because I had my 8-year-old helping. :D
Also, my front Bilstein B6 struts are STILL on backorder. Well, 4WP has one but still waiting for the other, and with the current state of the world who knows if I will ever get it. It would be nice if the new Steeda shocks were comparable to the B6s instead of being comparable to stock Sport shocks and struts.

Has anyone looked at the ARB "OME Nitrocharger"?? Good luck finding it on the ARB website, but I found it on CARID for the 2013 explorer and it specifically states with a 1.5" lift... I wonder if it is "Lifting" it 1.5" or if it is being used in conjunction with a 1.5 lift. Thoughts anyone?!

I'd say it is the latter. To be used in conjunction with 1.5" lifted vehicles.

Peter

Has anyone looked at the ARB "OME Nitrocharger"?? Good luck finding it on the ARB website, but I found it on CARID for the 2013 explorer and it specifically states with a 1.5" lift... I wonder if it is "Lifting" it 1.5" or if it is being used in conjunction with a 1.5 lift. Thoughts anyone?!

I agree with Peters' response, it probably means in conjunction but also, be careful with sites like CARID - Ive found several products they list as being compatible and when reaching out to the vendor, the answer has almost always been that its not..

MEVOTECH TXMS40646 are upgraded outer tie rods with zerk fittings. I had about 95k on my stock tie rods so it was a nice replacement for my setup. Also appear to be a bit beefier than stock too.

I just ordered the Steeda sway bar and the rear trailing arms for my Limited, but I'm having second thoughts about the trailing arms. I don't tow anything, and I rarely have a heavy load in the back. Is it worth it to upgrade just for a better ride? Is it going to make any difference for daily driving, or should I save the money?

I just ordered the Steeda sway bar and the rear trailing arms for my Limited, but I'm having second thoughts about the trailing arms. I don't tow anything, and I rarely have a heavy load in the back. Is it worth it to upgrade just for a better ride? Is it going to make any difference for daily driving, or should I save the money?
Fair question. I have found non Motorcraft in general, to be of poor quality. However, from what I have heard, Steeda is good. If you can afford it, keep it. I can afford Steeda, but would not put in to my 2011 base with 148k. It's a couple toes into the grave with that mileage and being a base.

I have the MEVOTECH tie rods as well. They were the same price as the OEM on RockAuto and are definitely more heavy duty.

I also ordered Steeda rear adjustable toe links and trailing arms. I honestly only spent money on the rear because of the recall. Ford went really cheap on the rear suspension design so anything you buy will be an upgrade.

well my sway bar gets delivered today. I guess there was a backorder that I wasn't aware of. hopefully will have everything installed by this weekend and I'll post my thoughts.

anyone have torque specs for the trailing arms and sway bars?

I also have Bilstein Shocks on my 2014 Ford Explorer XLT. It was a choice between Bilstein and KYB when I was browsing 4wheelonline. I'm glad I made the right choice.

Alright, I just installed the Steeda rear sway bar on my 2017 Limited. I watched the Nocturnal Performance video a few times in preparation.;

It should be noted for those of us without a Sport, that our exhaust is different. It is not a true dual exhaust, so there is only 1 exhaust hanger, and you don't have to loosen bolts to drop the exhaust to remove or install the new bar. Actually I didn't have to do anything to the exhaust to change the bar out.

It took me about 30 minutes doing it myself. Very simple install. I put the car up on ramps -- would have been much more difficult if just jacked up.

I have only taken it for a quick trip around the neighborhood, and honestly I don't feel a drastic difference. I will see what it's like when I drive to work and hit the highway a bit.

Steeda rear trailing arms went in today. Overall not a terribly difficult job, just a little time consuming. It took me right at 2 hours or so, with a buddy.

I chose to remove the wheels and jack the car up. This gave easy access to the two bolts. I used a punch to help remove the lower (near the brake rotor) bolt. The top bolt doesn't require anything holding the nut.

My suggestion when installing the Steeda part is to put the lower bolt in (not tight) and then jack up the suspension on that side to help move the top side in to place. This made the job a lot easier.

I chose to lift the car from under the rear spring to "load" the suspension while I torqued the bolts.

Back