Any Canadian's install HID's? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Canadian's install HID's?

Mishtar

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
I was reading on a site that cars with DRL's will always show a Bulb out warning. Just wondering if this is true and if there is a way around it.

I was reading on a site that cars with DRL's will always show a Bulb out warning. Just wondering if this is true and if there is a way around it.

My 2009 GMC Acadia has daytime running lights and I can report after numerous burnouts that that vehicle does not report that the light is out. My wife's 2001 Ford Windstar does not have DRL's but does have a light out warning that illuminates on the dash whenever a light burns out.

Since you're in Canada and have DRL's on a non-HID model..I'm presuming your headlights function as DRL's.

Steve at Retro Solutions helped me a lot and replied to my many E-mails. I am expecting my EX to arrive any-day now but because it was ordered as a fleet vehicle here in the US, it will have DRL's like yours.

DRL's run on a reduced output and pulsed voltage..and HID's do not like this. It causes them to flicker.

The solution is:
  • Use a Capacitor link - This will help create a constant source of power
  • Use a Load Resistor - This is used for vehicles with "Bulb Out" indicators (Although I'm not sure Explorer's have bulb out indicators. I just bought it just in case)
  • Use a Time Delay Relay - This will delay your headlights from coming on for about 10 seconds (When in Auto mode)...giving you time to crank your engine to give the HID's the full power they need to ignite.

Or you can have your Canadian Dealer change your DRL's to be the parking lamps instead.

Back