sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I've been having this issue since I installed the locker. I got it used (it was doing this for the previous owner too), but I replaced the springs before I installed it thinking that was causing the problem.

So the locker just slips and clicks when under load. Even on wet grass when I was pulling a tree stump out all I could get was violent jerks out of the front end. Am I missing something here? Does the locker seem to have all the required parts? :p: Should I just buy a new one?

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• locker1.jpg
    locker1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 241
  • locker2.jpg
    locker2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 235
  • locker3.jpg
    locker3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 265

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Whatcha up to???...:popcorn:

...Does it first meet the min/max tolerances???

This is for the front d44. The only thing I can think of is it needs more shims on the outsides. But shiz... those instructions are kinda crappy. It should have been a straight forward install. Huh, IZ?

...Thats what I was wondering...The instructions look pretty generic..I did find that it may not fit proper in an 82-85 j**p Dana 44 front axle, but you don't have a J**P axle..;)

I do have a Jeep axle. Where did you see that info? It did the same thing in Froader's HP d44 though.

Oh. No axle disconnect. I'm safe.

Like.. akay .. I'd either replace those springs with ones that are stiffer (McMaster-Carr maybe?), or shim them with small washers (hello HomdeDepot) so that they are more compressed (more force preventing the teeth doodad from ratcheting).

Another thing you can do, but I doubt anyone would have the patience for this, is to regrind the interface of the interlocking teeth -- cauz I'm pretty sure you've worn these down beyond spec after all the ratcheting you described.

Ahhh shiz. I should probably invest in something better anyways.

Try the washer stack, it'll cost you a few dollars at HomeDepot

What do you think I should start out with? 2 washers?

Yeah, if you break an axle shaft or U-joint, then remove one :)

Copy that. :D

...Or you could just throw an aussie in there...no complaints on mine...:D

Not a whole lot of luck today.

I tore the axle out, then apart. I cut the perches off, lowered them a little, and rotated them back for 5/6 degrees of caster.

But when it came to the locker, everything seemed to be assembled correctly. I tore it out and added some extra washers (thrust?) to the outside. They were too thick, making it impossible for the pin to go through.

Next I headed over to OSH for some washers to add under the springs. Smallest I had, and OSH had, was M3s. Too big. So I guess I'll try HD tonight. If they don't have anything, I think thats enough signs that I need to go a different route.

Attachments

• locker.jpg
    locker.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 190
  • locker2.jpg
    locker2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 207

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah since you have the entire thing out, might as well go with an Aussie and start breaking axle shafts. But hey, if you still want to try the washer approach, cut the heads off of a few nails (since you have all those fabrication tools in that garage thats just collecting dust)

Back