Any engine differences between '97 and '99 (5.0) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any engine differences between '97 and '99 (5.0)

jinx44

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I have a '99 5.0 Explorer that was stolen and the engine was knocking when I got it back. I had planned to rebuild it, but have found a take out engine from a '97, which will be cheaper than a rebuild.

The '97 explorer build date was 11/96, however it does have "P" heads.

Were there any cam, intake, etc differences in these engines that would give me problems? I am wanting to do a complete intake to pan swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that the EGR is different.

97.5 - 2001 have P heads
So if your 97 engine with a build date of 96 has P heads, there are no changes to the engine, intakes, heads, etc

You can use this 97 LONG BLOCK in your 99, but keep the 99 intakes, accessories, sensors, etc

97.5 - 2001 have P heads
So if your 97 engine with a build date of 96 has P heads, there are no changes to the engine, intakes, heads, etc

You can use this 97 LONG BLOCK in your 99, but keep the 99 intakes, accessories, sensors, etc

So I do need to stay with the '99 intakes? They are different?

BTW, I am asking because I haven't actually seen the '97 engine and I don't know if they look any different. A friend bought the engine from a running '97 to use the intake and heads but has decided to go a different route. He was thinking the early build date would be non-P heads, and didn't find out differently until he got the engine home.

If it says P on the head, then you can use the longblock
i would retain the 99 accessories, intakes, sensors because there are WIRING changes from 97 to 99, heck there are wiring changes from 97.5 to 98, so to keep things simple, use all your 99 wiring, you may find it does not match up with some parts on the 97 engine (Cam sensor, TPS, coolant temp sensors, etc) so your absolute best bet is to keep all teh stuff from your current 99

I have put 98 engines in to 93 trucks, with this same thinking

the blocks and heads change very little over the years, the accessories, intakes, and sensors change very often

If it says P on the head, then you can use the longblock
i would retain the 99 accessories, intakes, sensors because there are WIRING changes from 97 to 99, heck there are wiring changes from 97.5 to 98, so to keep things simple, use all your 99 wiring, you may find it does not match up with some parts on the 97 engine (Cam sensor, TPS, coolant temp sensors, etc) so your absolute best bet is to keep all teh stuff from your current 99

I have put 98 engines in to 93 trucks, with this same thinking

the blocks and heads change very little over the years, the accessories, intakes, and sensors change very often

Thanks for all of the info. Definetly helpful.

Back