Any experts on exhaust? please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any experts on exhaust? please help!

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
I think this was in the wrong section, So I'm reposting here...

I assume most of you have exhaust systems on your trucks so I should get some response to this, but I'm clueless. The only work I've done on exhaust is hacked the stock muffler off and put a flowmaster on it. It sounds bad arse (yes I just used that term) but it's got too much, resonance sound, if you know what I'm talking about? that annoying bass you get from a rice car, but atleast it's really deep. I want more of a bellow, like thet baad idle sounds you get from larger Liter engines. What Can I do to obtain this? Is it the Cat. that makes that resonance sound? what is a silencer? is there anythign I can remove to get a louder, deeper bellow from it? I live in central virginia, not too many strict smog restrictions here, but I do want to pass inspection. Without loosing performance preferribly!
ANY help would be greatly appreciated

-Brandon

What Flowmaster muffler did you use?

Changing the piping to 2 1/2" will also help.

I used a Delta 40. And i've got a 2.25 on there, would a tip affect it for the better or worse?

I have never, ever had a 6cyl sound like a V8. Those missing two cylinders really make a huge difference that I have never seen overcome. Even Duttweiler's 1000 hp V6's do not sound like V8's. Noisy as hell yes, but definitely lacking that V8 sound. I just don't know if you can get that sound you are looking for with your 4.0. And by the way, there has never been a V8 that sounds as good with the right exhaust as a small block Ford. That carried over to their new mod motors too.

Back