Any front end frame difference between Sport and 4 door? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any front end frame difference between Sport and 4 door?

FNFAL

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
The reason I ask is I need some kind of tow point on the front of my '99 Sport. So I was considering this Curt front hitch:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~31500.htm?vehicleid=1999301956

But it says it's for 4 door Explorers, and my Sport is of course 2 door. I emailed etrailer.com last week and asked them if it would fit but they have not responded.

As far as I can tell, mounting tow hooks to the frame horns is out, unless I carve up the plastic bumper. Hoping the Curt front hitch would fit without cutting the bumper up. But first I'm not even sure if it will fit the frame!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do believe the front is the same on all 95-01 on 4 doors and up to like 00 for the sports.

I do believe the front is the same on all 95-01 on 4 doors and up to like 00 for the sports.
Thanks for the reply!

Also, just today, etrailer emailed me this reply;

Answer:
According to our contacts at Curt Manufacturing, the Front Mount Hitch, part # 31500 will fit all 1999 Explorer/Mountaineer models except the Explorer Sport Trac.

So it looks good, I think I will give it a try.

Frames are the same. Bumpers may be different, so you may have to trim the bumper to "access" the hitch to use it.

Thanks for the reply!

Also, just today, etrailer emailed me this reply;

So it looks good, I think I will give it a try.

FNFAL,

Glad to hear you got our email. Sometimes it takes some time to get to all our emails, especially if it was submitted on the weekend.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Patrick @ etrailer

The frames are the same. I have that hitch on the front of my 98 Sport. It doesn't list as being for a 98, but the frames are the same, I just had to cut a notch out of my bumper to get it to fit. I think you may have to do the same, but you'll just be cutting plastic, not busting out the sawzall like me. :) If you are just looking to have some recovery points on the front of your rig, you might be better off just bolting some hooks to the frame. The hitch is way more versatile, but hooks are like 1/4 the cost. Let me know if you have any questions about installing it.

This looks like a pretty neat option for towhooks. Subscribing to see if anyone installs it/supplies pics etc

Well I would rather just mount tow hooks, but the deal with mounting tow hooks on a '99 is that the opening in the bumper cover does not allow it. There would have to be significant trimming of the plastic for hooks to be accessible. This Ex is really clean, no rust, dents or scratches, so I don't want to hack it up.

It looks as if that Curt hitch will mount with no trimming needed at all, and eventually I will find out. But I have not ordered the hitch yet, because unfortunately I now have a transmission problem I need to address.

I'll post pics here when I finally get to it.

Well I would rather just mount tow hooks, but the deal with mounting tow hooks on a '99 is that the opening in the bumper cover does not allow it. There would have to be significant trimming of the plastic for hooks to be accessible. This Ex is really clean, no rust, dents or scratches, so I don't want to hack it up.

It looks as if that Curt hitch will mount with no trimming needed at all, and eventually I will find out. But I have not ordered the hitch yet, because unfortunately I now have a transmission problem I need to address.

I'll post pics here when I finally get to it.

Please let us know how things turn out for you. I have included a link here to the instructions so that you and others looking at using a front hitch can see how this model installs. This particular model fits 1999-2001 Explorer and Mountaineer.

http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=31500

Can you guys please post up some pics? I am really curious and i really want to do this for my 99 4door Explorer.
-Kug

I got a hold of my contact at Curt and he sent me a photo. It's not a great photo, but it will show you where the tube sticks out at.

This was a photo they took as they were designing the hitch, so it's a prototype. The hitch that is produced for sale is different looking, but it will stick out right where this prototype photo does.

I will post photos in a bit. I have to find a spot to host them.

etrailer, to sell merchandise on this site, you must go through Rick, the site owner/admin. Please contact him BEFORE you post any possible sales information or the information will be removed.

etrailer, to sell merchandise on this site, you must go through Rick, the site owner/admin. Please contact him BEFORE you post any possible sales information or the information will be removed.

Just to be clear I have not posted any sales information. I posted a link to a .pdf instruction file.

I will send a PM to the owner/admin. If I am in violation of the site rules, I will gladly pull down whatever needs to be removed. I didn't want to rock the boat, I just wanted to make sure the orignal poster got the information he needed.

Just to be clear I have not posted any sales information. I posted a link to a .pdf instruction file.

I will send a PM to the owner/admin. If I am in violation of the site rules, I will gladly pull down whatever needs to be removed. I didn't want to rock the boat, I just wanted to make sure the orignal poster got the information he needed.

Not a problem, that's why nothing has been deleted. I just wanted to inform you of the rules before things might go too far and had to be deleted. :cool:

Not a problem, that's why nothing has been deleted. I just wanted to inform you of the rules before things might go too far and had to be deleted. :cool:
Can you PM me link to the rules regarding vendors and whatever rules may be applicable. Even if I'm close, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

no pics yet?
-Kug

Back