any help appreciated. truck's not starting. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any help appreciated. truck's not starting.

leetz

2wd All-Star
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida (School) Va.Beach, VA (Home) Beaufort, N.C. (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
I have had an intermitent problem with my truck for about 6 months now. It started when I moved from virginia to florida. The first week I lived there it took about three or 4 starts to start my truck. After a week the problem went away. then from there on out I have had some isolated incidents where it would give me trouble and would not start. Id say about once or twice a month. I would just leave it be and take my girlfriends car and it would start fine the next day.
Well now it has been three straight days, and it will not start. I have school on monday so I really need to find a solution ASAP. There is no clicking or anything it sounds normal, but it just never quite cuts on. The fuel pump is cutting on when i turn the key up, it seems to be getting plenty of battery. The starter is not clicking or making any weird noise at all. It sounds like it always does, but just doesnt kick all the way over. I don't think its gonna start again for me. It has never been this troublesome for me before. If any of you guys might know what might be going on I would appreciate it. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

leetz said:
I have had an intermitent problem with my truck for about 6 months now. It started when I moved from virginia to florida. The first week I lived there it took about three or 4 starts to start my truck. After a week the problem went away. then from there on out I have had some isolated incidents where it would give me trouble and would not start. Id say about once or twice a month. I would just leave it be and take my girlfriends car and it would start fine the next day.
Well now it has been three straight days, and it will not start. I have school on monday so I really need to find a solution ASAP. There is no clicking or anything it sounds normal, but it just never quite cuts on. The fuel pump is cutting on when i turn the key up, it seems to be getting plenty of battery. The starter is not clicking or making any weird noise at all. It sounds like it always does, but just doesnt kick all the way over. I don't think its gonna start again for me. It has never been this troublesome for me before. If any of you guys might know what might be going on I would appreciate it. thanks.

Try jumping the start solenoid located on the drivers side fender well inside the engine compartment. Get a screwdriver or a pair of pliers and and jump the two large electrical contacts on there. If you can hear the truck kick over after doing that then more than likely either the wire that leads to the ignition on the start solenoid is bad or the starter solenoid is bad itself.

I've seen this happen on the 2nd gen X before. It turned out that the power cable to the battery fails. I don't know why and never found any evidence of where it fails, but replacing the cable assembly (Ford dealer part only) has fixed the problem.

Blee: alright I did the thing with the screwdriver and it did make a start noise. According to what you said it is not suppose to try to start is that correct?

Boyle: when you replaced the power cable was it doing what mine did? basically engaging the fuel pump, making the start noise,engine will get a shake, but it just never starts.

One of my friends mentioned also maybe a starter relay? Does anyone think it could be that?

leetz said:
Blee: alright I did the thing with the screwdriver and it did make a start noise. According to what you said it is not suppose to try to start is that correct?

Boyle: when you replaced the power cable was it doing what mine did? basically engaging the fuel pump, making the start noise,engine will get a shake, but it just never starts.

One of my friends mentioned also maybe a starter relay? Does anyone think it could be that?

Put the key to the on position and then jumper it again. if its starts than either the starter solenoid is bad or the little red wire that is supposed to go to the small terminal on it is not getting a connection. try re-connecting it.

You don’t say how many miles are on the engine/starter if original. Yes I agree anything from the main battery cables, pos and negative; start relay and bendix solenoid on the starter can give you similar problems a no start. So confirming good sound electrical connections are a must and jumping out the relays will help isolate the problem. I have seen worn starter brushes, bearings, commutators, egg shaped commutators and stuck bendix mechanisms but I do not think that is it yet. You also did not say whither or not you have been in any deep water of late so do the simple stuff first.

blee I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding you,(I am very limited in car knowledge and I'll be the first to admit, it I'm a comp tech. :) ) Back home when I ran into problems I had Chris (boominexplorer) to help me. Now I'm on my own here. When u say "start" do you mean actually like cut on do the whole works. or just try to turn on. What it does when i bridge the connections with the screwdriver is it makes like a turning noise, and then a click if I hold it on there.I can also hear the fuel pump engage.

Everyone I ask is telling me all different things, so I really dont know where to start. I have heard check relays, I have heard check a sensor. Another person said it should spit me out a code on an OBD II scanner. I'm not trying to spend 50 bucks for one though if I dont even know if its gonna give me a code. I have not replaced the starter since I have had the vehicle, I've had the vehicle for the past 40k miles. I have not been in any deep water. I'm running low on time though so I might just have to get it towed and taken to a mechanic.

I consulted my Haynes manual to try to find the starter relay, but there's no way it displayed the proper one. The picture they showed must have been for an earlier gen explorer. Where is the starter relay located? and is there any way to check it.

thanks again guys for taking your time to help me.

Great News!! I consulted Chris and he thought it might have something to do with my autostarter kit. He said sometimes the relay can get stuck. well sure enough I reached under my dash jiggled some cords around and viola! started right up. Drove it around for 15 mins. parked it back at home just in-case. Started right up. I'm guessing its a temprorary fix for now and very well could be why my truck was randomly not starting. I should prob have that autostarter kit looked at. but anyways thanks for the help guys.

Back