Any info on this aftermarket front bumper cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any info on this aftermarket front bumper cover?

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Saw this while browsing some old posts. This guy in Australia posted these photos a number of years ago. He stated the front bumper cover was on the truck when he bought it. Anyone here recognize this custom aftermarket front bumper cover - who made it, any other Explorers out there that have it installed?

DSC04484.jpg

DSC04468.jpg

DSC04499.jpg

DSC04466.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, and a lot of work went into that. I'd bet it's a front bumper from some car, grafted to the Explorer piece. It does look good, though I don't like those big flares or the mud flaps.

I see the roof rack too and it detracts some, I think the Mountaineer roof rack would be much better on most Explorers. But that's a must modify deal, I've discovered that the four mounting holes are located fore/aft of the other style.

For a 96, its a good looking vehicle. Would love to know how the front bumper cover was done but I think it might be from a period kit.

Possibly it was from Explorer Express, but I am not sure.

I compared it to all the known Explorer Express pictures I have and didn't see any similarities. From what I recall they only had a chin spoiler that had one revision with the Gen 2 front bumper revision done I think in 98 or 99

I am thinking it was a whole body kit since the flares and running boards flow from the front bumper...

I am thinking it was a whole body kit since the flares and running boards flow from the front bumper...
I agree. I've been looking through photos from the period and cannot seem to find any others that match up. Hopefully someone on here will see it and maybe have something stored away on their computer as far as information on it. Would be interested to find that front bumper.

It could be a kit, but I doubt it given the lack of any other references to it. I'd bet it's just grafting of some car bumper to the stock one, and the 95-98 flares altered to mate to 99-01 running boards. I have those 99 running boards to put back on my truck, they are nice and have lights, but open at each end to mate to fender flares.

99Rollover.JPG

It could be a kit, but I doubt it given the lack of any other references to it. I'd bet it's just grafting of some car bumper to the stock one, and the 95-98 flares altered to mate to 99-01 running boards. I have those 99 running boards to put back on my truck, they are nice and have lights, but open at each end to mate to fender flares.

View attachment 97637

Those look like the running board that I had on my 94 limited. Maybe someone will recognize the bumper then and what car or truck it might have come from.

The 93-98 running boards are identical, other than colors. Those end cleanly to the body by themselves. The others mate to the flares at each wheel. What that odd truck has could be a bunch of modified parts, or a unique kit that nobody has mentioned before. I think they just mixed some existing parts, and did a pretty good job.

Yes I think it is a very well executed package on that vehicle (for the period). Since it is in Australia - perhaps it was a local outfit or kit builder? The owner posted on this site maybe 5 to 7 years ago. Wonder if the vehicle is still on the road?

On another note - I was reading the other day about the 1985 IROC that was found in a trailer with 9 miles on it - never PDI'd. Would love to find a 1995 Red Limited Explorer in that condition. The same one that Ford used on their 1995 marketing for the Limited and owner's video. Go to 2:48 mark - That combo always looked great.

I have a copy of that owner's guide video, still in the wrapper. I found it in an Explorer at the salvage yard a year or so ago, so it's probably been exposed to temperature extremes. It's available if anyone's interested.

Back