Not open for further replies.

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Im starting this thread to see if anyone in the VA, MD, DC, WVA area wants to run asome trails in the GWNF around Harrisonburg in Feb. Maybe the second or third weekend. Could even be beginnig of March.

Weather will be a factor. Snow and ice most likely. I was out this weekend running Peters Mill with OCC there was lots of ice on the trail. We had a roll over with Grand Cherokee which slipped on the ice, started back down the hill flipped and slid some more. No one was hurt. With the lower than average temps we have had the ice is really thick. Driving on the snow is not too bad, but the built up ice is white knuckle stuff. ( although the No-Slip and my AT/S worked great)

Just want to see if there's interest, or if some want to go in the spring.

Trails maybe Kephart run, dictum ridge, old long run, Peters Mill.

Lets see whos up for what when.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course I'm interested!

Mid February would be perfect. I will be pretty much gone last week February/first week March.

Thanks for the initiative!

Hello Eastcoasters!!!

Anybody out there?

yea, ill go, of course, =)

Ive ran old long run road and peters mill, peters is a wee bit bumpy, and i would be worried bout snow, but im in!. thanks , i have pictures from my last run there on my site, look in my tag.

Hey, just how bad are the trails? I've got a 1994 XLT 4x4, and the only real mod soon will be 30x9.50 Pirelli Scorption AT's. How would that be? It is pretty much stock and I don't have a large amount of off-road experience. Just curious how it'd be. Any info would be appreciated. If I have the time, and I could take my vehicle on it without worrying about damage, I'd like to go.

i am in the same boat as colorado bound. is this just for explorer's or is everything invited?

Stock, mild, wild

The trails in the GWNF are not extreme. Most are passable with a stock vehicle. Part of the reason for the post was to see who would want to go and what they would be driving. I have done a couple of the trails with my stock Navajo and 235s. A stock late model (96) has done a few, and I know of a s-10 blazer with 235s that has done all of the trails I mentioned. So stock wont hold you back. Damage is always a possibility when you venture off road( a real possibility on road too!!) but unlikely on the trails we propose to run- no promises though.

Could you put in you posts where you live so we can get an idea about where people would be comming from. Vehicle info too. Thanks. Just checking the interest and timing for folks.

I think it would be cool to get a few Explorers together- I get tired of all the Jeeps sometimes.

Well, found some pics of GWNF. It's on a Tacoma Webpage. Tacoma's are a little better offroad stock then an Explorer and there are some modified ones driving it. Looks a little rough in spots. And I've seen some of the Tacomas that are pictured, they are in my area. If I have the time and theres no snow, I'd probably come. I'm in Fayette county WV. And haven't done alot of offroading, so thats why I'm wanting to start small.

starton peters mill, its nice and easy, but go with no snow

Hey guys, count me in...

Coloradobound / Big T ~ don't be discouraged guys. When I went w/SteveVB & the OCC crew along w/Donkey Boy. There was a bone stock explorer on Old Long Run and it didn't encounter any problems (that I know of).

I'm ready ~ just say when/where and we'll be there...

SteveVB - same vehicle description as before. Are we planning on gathering at McDormans again?

Like SteveVB said, it would be nice to get a good gathering of explorers togther.

Matthew

Hey Guys -

I'm interested, though I'd be making the trip from North Carolina.
One day of trails - - or two??
Any firm dates yet??

Paul
'91 Sport

I'm coming this time if theres no snow. I have some offroad experience and thats why i don't want to go if there snow.

Radford,Va
91 4-door
30x9.5 KO's
(will have tow hooks by then)
I think if any shockers are come they should have tow hookers, front and back.

Ok, Im getting the feeling that a few of us would rather go when the snow wont be an issue- thats fine. Im going to propose that we plan on a ride in March for everyone would feel better about the weather conditions I think, although the possibility of the white stuff exists, the temps are usually a bit higher so the ice isnt as big a concern. As of last weekend the ice was still a problem on Second Mtn( the road we came down last time on our way out)

I propose the March 17th weekend (st patricks day weekend), I just pickerd it out of the air so if anyone has a suggestion let it fly.

Paul we could make it one or two days no problem, have to see how many want to come and what we can run.

As to what we can run - I need to do some checking- Clinton in a last gasp of power seems to have made a few changes in the roadless areas and some of the trails south of 33 may be affected- trails I wanted to prerun to see if they would be good for our group. So I need to get some more info.

I would encourage all who would like to go to put their name in, so we can see what develops. If not this ride then maybe one later in the spring or summer.

Tow hooks are recommended no matter what- but dont let it stop you from coming. They are a good idea even if your vehicle sees only the pavement.

March 17 then

St. Patricks day is fine with me, even though I will miss the snow :D

If you want to do a pre-run let me know. Times are pretty hecktic the next two months, but sneaking out on a Saturday or Sunday always should be possible.

Why Not Two Runs !?!?

Steve -

Any chance of doing the run twice ?? Once in February for the snow hounds, then again in March ??

Just a thought...

Anyway, I figured it'd be about a six hour drive each way for me, and I wouldn't mind doing it twice in two months. Whatever the majority of people decide is fine by me, though.

Also, no need to make it a two day affair on my account- -
I'd stay for two days if that was the plan, but it'd probably be better to hold off on a full weekend of wheelin' until the Spring / Summer time frame.

Paul
'91 Sport
SupeRancho 5" Lift, BFG 33x12.50 MTs, 4.10s, ARBs

I'll come to the run if I have the time and the weathers good. Need some 'wheelin experience under my belt. It all depends on homework(college) and what else I have to do for work. As long as the trails are not too bad. What all is on the Peters Mill trail? There a mill at the end?

Colorado, Take a gravel logging trail, add some bumpy ass rocks, about 6 inches high, and thats about it, great veiw, though old long run road is better.

how far is it from carroll county?...upper middle maryland any body know?

Id guess about 2 hours, mabe more, depends on how u drive, im in annapolis and it tkes like an hour and a half, and i have 33's, i drive slow
,ussually =0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We can go a copuple of times sure. OK for those not afraid of snow or ice how about something on Sat the 10th of Feb? in Harrisonburg. We can do Kephart run, maybe long run. Ive not done Kephart before, also if I have the time I have some trails to check out.

We can still do something the 17th March.

Post availability for feb 10th

Big T I live in Gaithersburg, and go down 270 to 495 to 66 and to peters Mill is a little under 2 hours, and harrisonburg is another 1/2 hour 45min south.
You can come to G burg and follow me down that would be no problem.

OK, whos up for what when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back