Any off-road trails in northern california? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any off-road trails in northern california?

2002Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport XLT Premium
I just want to go and try out my 4x4 sport. Are there any off road park or trails in the sacramento area? My sport is pretty much stock except for the shackle upgrade.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just moved to hayward last year,i need to update my location.if you want to just play a little you could go to carnagie.It's a little east of livermore, it has a very very small 4x4 area but the whole lower half can be used for trucks.if you look up off road parks in california it should come up with directions and a brief discription.there are a lot more trails around but this is the closest legal area.hope this helps.......... :thumbsup:

go up 50 and get off at prairie city rd. take a right
then another right when the rd ends prairie city park will be on your left side.

have fun.

Thank for the replies. I've actually been to carnegie park once...it wasn't enough for me. Anymore off road trails in the sacramento area? If only I'm close to hollister hills, I'd like to try it.

I know theres some in the sequia national forest... been on a couple of the milder ones near buck rock lookout...

I know there are plenty around thru the various national forests around there...

If you're closer to Sacramento then check into Prairie City. There are tons of trails along Hwy's 49, 50 and 80. Get a copy of Backcountry Adventures or the Funtreks book. Both are filled with trails of every difficulty.

If you're in hayward then you might want to go to Hollister. I'm checking into a place in that area called Frank Raines OHV park. I may have to try to get a group together for this in a couple weeks.

If you're closer to Sacramento then check into Prairie City. There are tons of trails along Hwy's 49, 50 and 80. Get a copy of Backcountry Adventures or the Funtreks book. Both are filled with trails of every difficulty.

If you're in hayward then you might want to go to Hollister. I'm checking into a place in that area called Frank Raines OHV park. I may have to try to get a group together for this in a couple weeks.

Bruce,

Ever go to Frank Raines. How was it?

Several of us went to Frank Raines way back when I did my Herc Tour.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38665

It has a lot of fun trails but many of them go through areas of manzanita and scrubbrush that will rub against your body panels as you go through the trails. Some of the mars will come out with buffing but then again some may stay more permanently in your paint.

I wouldn't take a new purdy Explorer with a fancy paintjob there, but otherwise it's a decent place to go offroading.

Thank for the replies. I've actually been to carnegie park once...it wasn't enough for me. Anymore off road trails in the sacramento area? If only I'm close to hollister hills, I'd like to try it.

You are close to holister hills, your like an hour away!

FROM THE THE BAY AREA
Take 101 South past Morgan Hill and Gilroy. Take San Juan Bautista exit (Hwy 156 East) until you come to Union Road (second stop light). Turn right and follow park signs to Cienega Road. Turn right on Cienega Road and follow signs to the park.

Back