Any one ever have MAF sensor problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any one ever have MAF sensor problem

explorer_rush

Reaction score
City, State
Utah, Logan
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I got a 97 explorer that i picked up at the end of the summer when i got it i went threw and cleaned everything up really well and cleaned the MAF sensor and the hole bit. Well yesterday my check light came on and turns out its the MAF sensory. I was wondering if any of you other guys have ever had this problem? I know that ford is known for this but just haven ever had any personal problems like this before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The MAF sensor element is a bit fragile. What did you clean it with?

I had gotta water in mine...(from just washing off the engine bay)C.E light came on.. tried to clean it with no good outcome... wound up getting a new one... no problems since... but I stay far far away from water..

What code?

I got a 97 explorer that i picked up at the end of the summer when i got it i went threw and cleaned everything up really well and cleaned the MAF sensor and the hole bit. Well yesterday my check light came on and turns out its the MAF sensory. I was wondering if any of you other guys have ever had this problem? I know that ford is known for this but just haven ever had any personal problems like this before.

The MAF sensor element is very fragile. It should only be cleaned with MAF sensor or electronic component cleaner aerosols. What is the specific code you read? Which engine do you have?

I cleaned it with MAF cleaner. But i have the ohc motor I cleaned it last night again figuring i might have got some dust on it when i took it for a week long trip up in the mountains. But to no prevail check light came on again this morning. Might just have to go by a new one.

What code is being thrown?

if that helps. idk i might have to go down to auto zone again and see what the codes where. Sorry im kinda new to the explorer thing

MAF sensor related codes

I don't recognize that code description as MAF sensor related. Here are likely codes for the MAF sensor:

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0104 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent

Before purchasing a new or rebuilt MAF sensor why not test it? MAF Sensor Test Procedure

I am doing a homework assiment and need to find out what these codes mean. p0101; p0171; p0700; u1900 what the cause is and is that something common for this car? 2002 Ford Explorer with 4.0L 2rwd

Back