Any one know what type of tow package I have?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any one know what type of tow package I have??

fedyfedz

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited v8
It looks like it came with class 1 or 2 the one with the little hole and then someone put on an aftermarket one can someone confirm this? is it from factory like that? if it isnt is it the same or worse? also on my vin i think it says i have a 3.55 axel and 5r55w tranny is this correct for a 2002 v8 limited? sorry alot of questions.. here is some pics to help
IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1428-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There were probabl a couple tow packages with different differentials and gears. Maybe someone out there has an old window sticker from their explorer. Mine has the tow package and it is the 2' in reciever hitch, trans cooler, and 3.73 L.S. diff.

Axle code 45= 3.55's Open.
Class II rating. That is an aftermarket hitch.
You can actually bolt up a ClassIII (if you can find one) and replace the two if you want.

so do I still have the same towing capabilities? wish i had the other transmission i think i heard that the 3.73 is better and so is the limited slip...

Check out this link for axle code / transmission code:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268572&highlight=limited+slip+door+code

Looks like you have the V8 without the towing package (which includes the 3.73 LS differential), but then someone upgraded the hitch. It looks like a 2" class III hitch to me (but its hard to see in photo). Are both the 7-pin and 4-pin trailer wire connectors hooked up?

And check out:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109
for transmission/differential info;

And:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134
for towing info

im using the 4 pin outlet now with my led brake light so I now that works never tested the other one

For the '02 Explorers, the towing package gets you:
The 3.73 ratio differential
Factory transmission cooler (in front of the radiator)
Pre-wired 7-pin trailer lights/electric brake connector
2" Class III/IV hitch.

The car brakes are the same with/with out tow package. The brakes are designed to stop the car, if you're going to tow a lot of weight you should look into electric brakes for the trailer. Whoever put the 7-pin connector on there probably already ran the wires for the electric brakes, check it out.

Hope this helps.

2" Class III/IV hitch.

The car brakes are the same with/with out tow package. The brakes are designed to stop the car, if you're going to tow a lot of weight you should look into electric brakes for the trailer. Whoever put the 7-pin connector on there probably already ran the wires for the electric brakes, check it out.

Hope this helps.

like discussed above even the vin id tag or w/e its called even says i have the 3.55 i would love for that to be wrong and for u to be right

2" Class III/IV hitch.

Hope this helps.

i think the 3.73 is only changed from a 3.55 on the 4.0l the v8s still keep the 3.55 gears.

i think the 3.73 is only changed from a 3.55 on the 4.0l the v8s still keep the 3.55 gears.

I'm not certain this is accurate.

I have a 2002 Limited 4.6L V8 AWD with the towing package and 3.73 gears, came that way. Somewhere around here I have the original window sticker and an original dealer's brochure.

I really hope this is all true is it possible that some 02 v8's have the 3.55

great i think i might be the unlucky one i will have to look further into this to see what I really got casue now im confused and unsure lol

What I was trying to say is that a factory '02 4.6L V8 with tow package comes with 3.73 limited-slip rear end and 2" class iii/iv hitch; and one from factory without the tow package comes with the 3.55 open rear end and class II hitch. It looks like yours came from the factory without the tow package (so 3.55 and class II hitch), then someone later installed an after-market class-III hitch.

They may also have installed an aftermarket transmission cooler, I'd look to see if that's been done. If not, I'd recommend it. Depending on what you plan to tow, the 3.55 may not be a problem. definitely check out the towing forum on this site, there's lots of experienced folks who are glad to share.

great i think i might be the unlucky one i will have to look further into this to see what I really got casue now im confused and unsure lol

you have a 3.55 rear end.

with out a tow package.

They may also have installed an aftermarket transmission cooler, I'd look to see if that's been done. If not, I'd recommend it. Depending on what you plan to tow, the 3.55 may not be a problem. definitely check out the towing forum on this site, there's lots of experienced folks who are glad to share.

where would this normally be placed? i took a picture of something I wasnt sure what it was for some reason i though it was for the a/c its right behind plastic shield right below where the oil filter is, here is a pic, the thing is i dont plan on towing anything in the near future(got no toys to towhttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif...) but if i was going to it would be a small trailer with a quad nothing major.

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

That would be the power steering fluid cooler. Look where the lines from that finned-cooler thing go (center of your last picture) you'll see one of them go to the power steering reservoir. Now, in your last picture, the two lines above your power steeering cooler (the ones with the yellow plastic clips on them) that's the transmission-fluid lines to/from the transmission. You should trace them, see if they go straight to the radiator, or if someone has added an extra path in them to an extra cooler. It can bve hard to really see what goes where, use a bright flashlight. There will be a finned-cooler thing for the A/C in front of the radiator. My factory cooler is installed between the radiator and the A/C cooler.

great thanks for the info greatly appreciated. I will check today on my break... if there is not one added which i doubt there is, is this hard to do? is there a thread with someone doing this? It is not a major thing as to i wont be towing anything and i just ordered exhaust and something is squeaking in the suspension so will probably have to fix something there. when i do the exhaust on monday i will check to see if I can locate the squeak and look deeper in to my tranny situation.

imo you won't need an additional cooler. . .it has a big one already. From checking online Part No.'s they are the same with Tow and w/o tow. Trans cooler used to be in the radiator, but if you lost coolant you'd fry the trans so they gave it its own cooling system independent of the engine.

Only real difference with the 3rd gens V8's are the 3.55 vs 3.73's. Note that with the '06's and up with the V8 got 3.55's no matter what, something about the real low gearing in the 6spds, the 3.73's were no longer necessary. The V6's still get the 3.73's axles.

Transmission wise, i thought, the 5r55s's came behind the AWD xfr cases, and the commandtrac (think switches on the dash) got the 5r55w's. Reason being the Commandtrac has a low range while the AWD doesn't. Not 100% sure on that though.

In one of my JY excursions i found a trans cooler already pulled here is a pic, its between the Rad and Condenser near the bottom.

Attachments

• img021sm.jpg
    img021sm.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 378

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after talking with my mechanic he said it would be an easy thing for him to swap my axles for the good ones.. Im going to look into this and go to some junk yards to see if I can get them for cheap, has anyone heard of this being done or have done this themselves.

Back