any other options than welding to raise bumpers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any other options than welding to raise bumpers?

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Got a question for you guys, hopefully you've got a good answer! I have got a 3 inch body lift on my 94 Explorer and want to get the bumpers raised up. Not so much my front one as I do my back one. Does anyone know of any bolt on brackets or such that can be used other than having to weld anything? ANY ideas or suggestions would be great!!

/\/\att

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you're exactly in the same position that I was a few months ago when I installed the 3" lift. Mine is a 94 and Limited too. Check my pages to view a bit about the mods I've made and trails I've been on. As far as that bumper I used brackets that came with the lift kit but had to redrill the holes and notch upper part of the frame. I'll be working on it again since I want to install a class IV hitch. I can draw the brackets then and forward them to you. It's easy. My bumper is all apart. Upper plastic thinghy is off and tow plate is off as well. All I got on my rig is the bumper itself. Front bumper the same, I lost front clip off roading. First sand dune I aproched took care of that. Now all the parts, Limited parts that is are resting up in the rafters of my garage just in case I want to put it all back together. Let me know if you need any further help.

PS. That plastic being off in the back helps you get the spare wheel down. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to insert the rod unless you redrill the hole lower.

Later,

Dead Link Removed

Hey Andre, did you take a pic of where you redrilled the holes in the brackets? Do you think if I drilled some holes as far out as I can besides the original holes then I would be able to get my bumper straight? As for the rear, coudl I do the same thing? I want to get an air compressor soon, then I can use a grinder and take out some of the frame so it will be able to go up. I am wanting to put my front air dam back on so it will cover up the frame rails sticking out of the front, and to make the GM tow hooks I got look like they are right under the air dam, instead of a few inshes below the bumper. I got the tow hooks for free from a guy at work that took them off of his.

Hey I've got the frame rails showing but fortunately for me the push bar I had on my rig after some mods perfectly covers the frame. It now bolts on to the rig with original bumper bolts. GM hooks go right underneath it. Now when I will start putting this hitch of mine on I can draw the brackets just to show you how you have to go with the holes. Having an angle grinder, good drill and sawzall really helps. Welder is a plus. But all that is really a necessity if you want to work on your truck yourself. I'm facing another problem now since I'm gettind a Ramsey winch and will be working on installing this baby permanently and seriously to the frame itself instaed of the bumper. I'll try to put it right between the frame rails. I've seen it done. Well, some more winter projects.

Later,

PS P-mail me if you have q's.

Hey Andre,
If you could forward those brackets to me, I would be greatful. I am more concerned about the rear bumper only because I plan on putting a new bumper on the front. And about all your Limited parts in the garage, all of mine are under the house!

Promise, as soon as I get to installing the hitch I'll get those brackets for you.
First though I have to work a bit on my front end. I'm putting a 2" suspension lift on and as long as I'm there I'll be repacking front bearings, changing oil in the dif and installing new brakes with all new parts. This baby has to perform with no glitches. I'll let you know.

Later,

Back