Any other women get grief? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Any other women get grief?

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
Ever since I started my new job (Okay okay! I drive a 33 foot rollback! It's a new century, for cryin' out loud!) I've noticed that men do one of two things when I encounter them, either at work or in a parts store: "Wow! Never seen a chick towtruck driver! You go girl!" OR "Hey, honey, I'll move that for you". The latter infuriates me. If I was a 100 pound preppie blonde I would never have taken a job like this, so why assume that I can't do something myself?

Chickness has also gotten me in hot water with somebody's wife because she absolutely fails to believe that a woman would ever be as interested in cars as I am and I must be making it up to get closer to her husband, who I ask for explorer advice constantly and try to help out wit his various projects, the same as I would with any other friend (names won't be mentioned...he knows who he is and he never would never come in here anyway, so I'm not worried about it). Based on the serious lack of women on this site, I'm inclined to believe that I am indeed one of a kind.

Is it so hard to believe that a woman can do everything a man can do and some things better??? Honestly, and not to toot my own horn, but I've never met any other girl like myself...all my friends are married, have kids and could care less about what's under the hood of their car/truck. All they want to know is when the latest Revlon nail polish is coming out :fart:

Don't get me wrong, I imagine someday my Fiance and I will seriously consider a family (right now I just can't get myself interested in children...I MUCH prefer my spasticats), but hanging with the guys, swapping stories, throwing out silly insults (that's why I put up with *tuna* gag, btw), learning more about engines and cars and generally goofing around has got to be my favorite thing to do..I've been that way since I was 8!

Anybody other women feel this way or am I as everybody says...A unique weirdo?

(Hah hah...all this and I'm waiting to see if I can become a Sheriff's Deputy ;) )

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
It's just you Spas, just you :D

Actually, my wife is a lot like that too (remember who wanted to see all the Mustangs at the car show??)

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
Actually, my wife is a lot like that too (remember who wanted to see all the Mustangs at the car show??)
Yeah I remember...She was the one hooting and pointing at all the 'Stangs, lol
If I recall correctly, she was also the first one to spot that wild candyapple red bowling ball paint job on the Mach 1, too...

Char

Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wittmann
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Callsign
KB7TKQ
Spas,

You're not the only one. When I'm at a party and all the women adjourn to the kitchen I stay with the boys. I have no desire to discuss the latest gardening tips, the newest recipe or it this color nail polish looks good. The last time I had on nail polish was when my mother treated me to a weekend at the spa. I had all the massages and took all the classes I could, but still had time on my hands so I went and had a manicure and pedicure. The polish stayed on for 2 days and then I took it off. My nails felt so gross!

Now, want to discuss engines, mods, and 4wheeling. I'm there!

I love when I go to the pet store and buy a 20lbs. bag of dog. The male clerks always ask if they can carry it for me. I look around to make sure they're talking to me, then think to myself, "Why would I need you to carry it out when I carried it up here.

I also love the reaction you get when you take your car in for work and you know more than the person helping you. :D

Maranda

Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Aviator 93Sport 99 PSD
I find that I am a contradiction. LOL

I like things like hard rock, fast cars, hanging around with the guys a lot of times. I grew up riding in a semi. However, I work with a lot of fru-fru patients as well who get their Botox, peels, etc and can play that game. But I feel out of place most of the time when it's just me with a bunch of girls. I sort of feel clumsy and don't relate the way I think I "should".

Anyway, it's tough. We had a fancy dinner last summer paid for by a medical rep. They all talked about food, travel, cultures, and my biggest contribution was telling them that I swapped out my brake pads over the weekend when asked. LOL I felt embarrassed, but later thought... why? Just have to be comfortable in your own skin, and it sounds like every chick on this board is. Those who can't get past their little box when it comes to "proper" gender behavior-- it's their loss. ;)

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Hey i wish there were more REAL women like you. Seems like the past two generations have gone to sh!t my grandmother is over 60 years old now and she still helps us bale hay every summer and fall. and when i mean bale hay i dont mean she drives the tractor she is out there bucking the bales onto the racks like all of us guys and just damn near as good(give her a break she is 60) i salute all the women who dont care it they fit in with this daintier more modern women crowd. stay just the way you are. that is a REAL woman in my book.

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
Your not alone,

just a few week's ago I told my wife that I was going to change the oil in the X, well she got irritated, and wanted me to wait till she was done with dishes and picking up, And I told her I wanted to get it done, Well we bickered back and forth for a while, and made the kids do the dishes and pick up and my wife and I changed the oil. :D

This weekend she's helping me put balljoints and tierod ends on my commuter car.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Hey keep a hold of her. sounds like you got yourself one hell of a woman there. i know women that dont even know how to fill thier cars with gas. lol. now i know some people will ask why i say all that just because she wanted to change the oil with you. my reply to that is HOW MANY MODERN CITY GUYS(<----SISSY's) DO YOU SEE CHANGING THEIR OIL THESE DAYS? let alone a woman who not only doesnt have to do it but argues to help with it. very rare indeed is what comes to my mind. getting back to my grandmother, i think she could most likely even school me on the internal combustion engine. probably even bench press large farm animals too.........uh ok maybe i went a little too far. lol.

Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
Ok everyone, I need to find myself a woman like that. Seriously, all the good ones must be taken or something. All I can find these days are ones that define "ruffing it" and "camping" as hitting the trail in the morning and coming back to the hotel to take a shower at the end of the day. I must admit, some of them enjoy the excitement of wheeling, but have a "few cans short of a six pack" when it comes down to learning anything about cars and wheeling. The ones that are interested in cars, trucks, wheeling, and camping, swing the other way, so that doesn't help me none!

I'm just looking for a well rounded girl. Likes to dress in jeans and doesn't mind getting a little dirty, but can change in an hours time to go out to a dinner party. Someone who's educated and has more then a few words to say about any topic. Come on now, I'm just looking for my soul mate, is that to much to ask?:D

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
Originally posted by rocket 5979
probably even bench press large farm animals too.........uh ok maybe i went a little too far. lol.

LMAO..

My wife grew up on a farm so she would rather be out doing what the boy's are doing then the Suzy homemaker thing..lol She is definatly a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal.

she's not to crazy about the off-road scene, but she does love drag racing, NASCAR, Fishing, Camping, Hunting, and basically being outdoors.

I don't think she could explain the combustion engine, but she can do anything she put's her mind to.

Hell, a few years ago I had to go to Germany for 3 months and in that time she put 2 serpentine belt on the car, the third time she noticed the tensioner was bad so she replaced that and put on the new belt, all by herself.

jjue

Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member
Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Nissan Titan CC LE
All the women that I know in Mississippi who fit this description are all married, and the majority of them are within a couple years of me, and I just graduated college in May. Amazing.

Reminds me of a friend's wife who is petite, hot as hell, I'm not sure if she even weigh's 100 lbs., and the look on the face of the driver of a 2003 Mustang Cobra when he realized who was asking all the questions about his mods, why he hadn't done this and that yet, and why he was doing his burnouts and leaving off the way that he was at Memphis Motorsports dragstrip.

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
:D

Good to know I'm not alone! Now if we could all just live closer to each other!

Xplodor, where were you 9 years ago?? lol I swear I wonder sometimes if Jason (my fiance) and I will last....he likes NONE of the things that I do, especially cars. Matter of fact, his eyes start glazing over whenever I talk about the latest innovation I read about or the look on Muskrat's face when he thought his engine was hydrolocked on our last run (Sorry, Shaun, but it was funny!)

Still, it's good to have at least one person behind you...Tomorrow's the day of the year I dread most, because I will inevitably get asked that horrible question at least three times....

"So, when are you two going to start a family??"

BAH :p

I already have a child...he costs me $20 in gas every week and he has an O-ring problem that I have to take him to the 'doctor' to have fixed :D That's another odd thing that I do...Maybe it's chauvanistic, but My truck is a HE, not a SHE, lol.

Simple reasoning really: Sports cars=curvy but sleek, therefore WOMEN (using a Vogue model of course, I might equate closer to a Chevy Astro or something)

Trucks=tough and sturdy, therefore MEN

Messed up? maybe :D

My self esteem thanks you all for the encouragement :)

Muskrat

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Califon, NJ USA!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger STX
Spas, one question with those last lines of logic, if your truck is a "he", why is it street?:p

Muskrat

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Califon, NJ USA!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger STX
aaaaghhhhh! No more, make it stop!

yob_yeknom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Glade Hill, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT & '06 Limited
Originally posted by Spas
Maybe it's chauvanistic, but My truck is a HE, not a SHE, lol.

Simple reasoning really: Sports cars=curvy but sleek, therefore WOMEN (using a Vogue model of course, I might equate closer to a Chevy Astro or something)

Trucks=tough and sturdy, therefore MEN
My truck is a she because I'm not riding a guy, not giving the go juice to a guy, will never tell myself to throw it to him, etc...

jjue

Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member
Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Nissan Titan CC LE
My Mountaineer is definitely a she since does put out most of the time when I want her to although she does give fits when on when to downshift and upshift due to the tree-hugging computer programming from the factory. However, a Baummanator will fix that. :p

Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I guess I am one of those lucky guys that caught one of the good girls.

Teri loves to go four wheeling, watch monster trucks, freestyle motorcross, etc. She has helped me change the gear oil in the Explorer when we put on the guard around the diffy. She doesn't mind getting a little dirty yet she still likes to go do somthing special like a dinner theatre play.
She does still like having her nails done so I guess she isn't into the trucks like some of the gals, but she does still like to go play with the trucks.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Spas

Explorer addict
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
North East, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
That's cool, Perry :cool:

It's all about finding a happy medium, I suppose...I can sit here and discuss trucks with you lot until 3 a.m., all while listening to Phantom of the Opera-it's just a matter of taste. I was just using the nailpolish as a reference point to get my point across ;) Nothing wrong with making yourself look better: it's a fact that you feel and act more confident when you know you're lookin good.

I just feel left out all the time because the women I know are either into children/family or some incredibly petty things like gossiping...but I realize that as insignifigant as I might consider their tastes, it's their choice what to do with their lives and I have to respect it. I just don't have to like talking about it all the time!

(Btw, I would never expect a guy to have a 'male' truck, lol)