Any Point in Bleeding Brakes on a Brand New Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any Point in Bleeding Brakes on a Brand New Sport?

slicky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
As the title says, before I waste my time bleeding brakes on a brand new vehicle, I wanted to see if anyone has done it and experienced any improvement in brake feel? Doing that on my other vehicle, improved things a bit and stiffened up the pedal. Not sure if it would be the same on the Explorer or does it just have spongy brakes as a part of its nature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what did you come from?

I doubt you will have any air in the line - especially new off the factory. reason they are reverse filled and tested twice before continuing down the line. (ABS module reasons)

so there shouldn't be any air in the system out of the factory. - mostly because of the reverse fill.

If you came from something with a hard-aggressive brake pedal feel - then yes it would appear soft. There is a good bit of brake boost in a ford car.

however you could always try it if you wanted to - only concern would be in cycling the abs module to do it completely.

In theory to do it completely you'd need to bleed out each line starting in the rear - and then cycle the abs module while in bleed cycle (you're supposed to be using a pressure pot) - and ensure completeness.

I am used to sports sedans, but I don't expect the Explorer to have the same brake feel. My WRX, for example, also did feel mushy from the dealer floor and bleeding the fluid did help. I was hoping for the same result on the Explorer, but if pointless, I will resign myself to just changing the pads. Certainly not looking for a full brake kit, but the brakes on this thing are driving me nuts.

I have to say considering the mass and the distribution - I think the sport brakes are fairly good. That front rear distribution is a killer though.

anyway - if you just have to trade the pads, while there bleed it if you want. I will say this - it won't be the quality fluid you probably put in your own car either. so maybe you'll want to trade out the fluid.

do you have something like the motive power bleeder, or were you intending to do the old - hold the pedal and crack the bleeder method.

If you don't have a pressure pot bleeder kit - I suggest as an alternative the vacuum systems that go on the bleeder.

Was your WRX new from the factory when you bought it - did it maybe sit on a dealer lot some time? That's why I think it won't, or rather it shouldn't help matters on a new 2016 explorer. it came to your dealer for Chicago by train and truck, not container ship - and the fill method from the factory (and most all other factories) leads to nearly no air allowed in the systems from start to finish.

but, if you hopped up your wrx significantly I can see why you could be disappointed with the stock sport brakes.

My advice - drive it some more - get more used to the overall feel of the device - specifically it's mass and distribution and you might find the brakes are OK for it's use.

then - do some upgrade it will have more meaning. I suspect.

I'm thinking at around 50 (already at 22, yes it's not 1 year old yet) I'll be doing pads with moving to the interceptor parts on the calipers for the silicone seals.

someone else asked about brake lines - I'm amazed with how many explorers have been made there isn't a set of premade SS lines available for them.

meanwhile wonder if the taurus SHO set would work, random thought.

The WRX was ordered and picked it up with 7 miles and others have seen the same issue with mushy pedal as well.
I have a 107 motive pressure bleeder, but haven't yet checked if it fits the Explorer.
I have already purchased Powerstop Z23 pads, but will put this on the backburner for now. Ss you suggested I will give it some time before I replace pads and fluid at the same time.

Awesome. Thanks

While I wouldn't go out of my way to just bleed the brakes, it would definitely be done when brakes require replacment or servicing.

possibly the second best tool I ever bought during racing. motive bleeder.

Back