Any recommendations for Auto Repair in Atlanta Georgia? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any recommendations for Auto Repair in Atlanta Georgia?

IndianaKenny

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 & 2004 Explorer
My son traveled to Atlanta, to attend a meeting. He is having problems with his 2004 Explorer. He says it sounds like something is grinding, on the drivers side, near the rear. It could be anything.... (Brakes, wheel bearing, etc., etc.).

He lives in Nashville, TN, and has to get back home.

Can someone recommend a repair shop? I really don't want him to just go in to a random shop, and get an estimate, or have repairs done. I'd really appreciate it, if someone can recommend a shop.

Thank you in advance for your input!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kenny what part of Atlanta is he in? If you are wanting a shop open on Sunday that may be difficult.

Thanks Rob!!!

He is in downtown Atlanta, but he has AAA, if he has to travel somewhere. I hate to tell him to drive very far, because I'd hate for him to go from "it's making a grinding noise", to "I think the wheel bearing locked up".

Tell him to call a NAPA in the area. They should be able to locate a NAPA AutoCare center for him. These shops should be "safe."

It may just be the lining on the rear E-brake shoes.

I agree with Number4. There are some AAA car care centers as well. I would suggest taking advantage of that AAA membership and give them a call for guidance. I am about an hour from downtown and don't have any recommendations on shops or businesses in that area.

Probably a long shot but here goes, not knowing exactly what the grinding sounds like. When I got my Aviator, a couple of years ago, one of the first things I had to do was replace the rear blend door actuator. It is located exactly where your son told you. It's located in the rear compartment under a plastic panel by the wheel well. When the rear heater is engaged, and it is faulty, it does make a grinding noise. No doubt it won't be confused with an axle bearing or something.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Rear+blend+motor+explorer

Good Luck

Tom

tell him to look at the rear wheels see if they have an excessive amount of black brake dust it could be the brakes..

Rear drivers side wheel bearing..... He should be back on the road today. Thanks everyone!!!

Where'd he end up taking it to?

He went to Pepboys, on Piedmont??? Neither of us were impressed with them. I used Pepboys, here in Lafayette Indiana, and had a good experience with them. I assumed the Pepboys in Atlanta would have about the same quality and service abilities. They could not get the bearing out, so they recommended going to a junk yard and buying a used assembly. WHAT???? Yep, you heard right!

Long story short, I had my son Uber himself over to NAPA to get the parts, then Uber himself to CLARK TRUCK REPAIR, who had no problem getting the bearing out, and new one installed. Both places took excellent care of him.

We ended up paying less money on the part from NAPA, (considerably less than Pepboys was gonna charge). We had to pay for an hour labor at CLARK, (which I cannot complain about), and Pepboys charged $200 labor to disassemble and later reassemble. All totaled, we spent less than Pepboys original estimate. I would not recommend Pepboys, but I'll send an "Attaboy" to Clark.

Now we just want to put this experience behind us...

I assumed the Pepboys in Atlanta would have about the same quality and service abilities. They could not get the bearing out, so they recommended going to a junk yard and buying a used assembly.

Yup, those rear bearing are generally not a cake walk and not for the faint of heart. It usually takes someone with experience with the Explorer rear bearings to do it right and it sounds like you found the right guy. You'd be amazed at how many "professionals" screw them up, break the knuckles, or are generally lost trying to figure out how to get them out.

Back