Any recommendations for black lug nuts with durable coating? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Any recommendations for black lug nuts with durable coating?

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Get rid of the ads!
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!
. First register on the forum, then join the Elite Explorers to get rid of the ads!

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
if powder coating can work on wheels, i dont see why not lugs. @MuscleJunkie used powder on his saleens iirc

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
if powder coating can work on wheels, i dont see why not lugs. @MuscleJunkie used powder on his saleens iirc
Yea @Turdle did quite alot as well, not sure if still in operation though.

I wouldn't mind spline drive, as long as they are not a locking type, where a regular spline socket would work.

EDIT: I have the Gorilla system, and they are just horrible, rust, key gets stuck on the lug nut ect.

EDIT2: It probably doesn't help I have a 3/4" drive Milwaukee impact.

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
I did a clearcoat removal and treatment of the stock 17" aluminum wheels, and then painted black with a clearcoat on that. The tire guy was reluctant to put the bead weights on the wheels because they looked so good. so balanced with the bean bags for semi truck tires.

Only chip I have on one is the one on the roof rack from a tiedown.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Don’t use the impact. Especially to put them on. Cover them in painters tape.

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Don’t use the impact. Especially to put them on. Cover them in painters tape.
The Mcgards are looking to be the best, I just really want to stay away from the locking types. Them Gorilla ones, the key gets stuck on them horribly, like having to use channel locks to get the key off the lug.

EDIT: Turdle still doing his thing? or has he been away for some time?

I see he's a moderator. So I will wait for reply.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
I use McGard Splinedrives on my Paseo. I would not hesitate to recommend McGard.

I had Gorilla on before them. Corrosion inside the lugnuts was a minor issue.

As for protecting the finish, I seen videos online where people would take plastic grocery bags, put it over the lugnut, and then put the lug socket on.

As for powdercoating the lugnuts, the thickness of the coating might make the lug socket not fit on the lugnut.