Any suggestions for a 1.5k mile road trip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any suggestions for a 1.5k mile road trip?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I'm planning to go to Chicago this summer via road trip using the Explorer from D.C. and back.

I've never driven been on a road trip this long. Is there any special preparations I need to take into account before I make such a long road trip? Like special preparations for tires/ special kits?

I have one worry and that is the fan assemblies and overheating. I have a 2011 XLT 4WD with no fan problems as of yet with 6K miles. Anything I can do myself to check if the fans are operating fine?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, but I can't help myself. You have noting to worry about, enjoy your trip and stop and smell the roses

Obviously check your tire pressure, and have your oil changed and load up the iPod.

Well, let's see... I would check the following:

All belts and hoses
Radiator fluid level and make sure it is bright green and not rusty colored
Oil level good and changed within the last 3000 miles
Spark plugs cleaned and gapped to within spec
Distributor cap tight and plug wires in good shape
Air filter clean (if not, just slap it against the ground a couple of times to get the biggest stuff out)
Check the water level in the battery with that turkey baster looking thing and add distilled water as necessary
Extra quarters for tolls and pay phones if the car breaks down
AAA membership card
AAA TripTik map so you don't get lost
A couple of audio books on cassette to pass the time
Plenty of Yoo-hoo and trail mix to snack on

I think that about does it!

Enjoy your drive. Oh yeah, don't forget the Polaroid Instamatic camera (with plenty of film cassettes) to capture those memories! (A 110 with the rotating flash cube will also work in a pinch)

Make sure the explorer has a transmission baseplate of prefabulated Amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings are in a direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consists simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes so-fitted to the ambifacient lunar wane shaft that side fumbling is effectively prevented.

Also make sure the the main winding is of the normal lotus-o-delta type and is placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the up-end of the grammeters.

Other than that you shouldn't have any worries at all. Have a safe and enoyable trip.

Capt A.

I take 68 through WV because the speed limits are higher, no tolls, and you don't have to do that Breezewood nonsense.

I think road flares are a good idea.

Some stretches of highway do not have lights and can be pitch black. Combine that with a curve or corner and even off to the side of the road can be dangerous changing a tire or checking your gear.

They sell pretty cool LED road flares. Here are the ones the Michigan State Police use. They are very cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj8p5qMdaG8

http://www.turboflareusa.com/

Tires with good tread, properly inflated along with a good, properly inflated spare.

Even my '95 with 300k on it, I check the tires, and make sure they have the right amount of air, check fluids, change the oil. Clean the windows, clean out the car of any junk that doesn't need to be in there. I bring a small toolkit if I feel it necessary and a flashlight. I've only had to make two side of the road repairs, an alternator at 250,000 miles and had the fuel pump relay die at 240,000.

with 6k on your car? No worries!

And a cell phone and car charger to go with AAA road service card.

Don't forget to call nasa for launch details !!

Make sure the explorer has a transmission baseplate of prefabulated Amulite, surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings are in a direct line with the pentametric fan. The latter consists simply of six hydrocoptic marzel vanes so-fitted to the ambifacient lunar wane shaft that side fumbling is effectively prevented.

Also make sure the the main winding is of the normal lotus-o-delta type and is placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the up-end of the grammeters.

Other than that you shouldn't have any worries at all. Have a safe and enoyable trip.

Capt A.

This post made my day. Haha I'll definitely check for landing gear too.

I take 68 through WV because the speed limits are higher, no tolls, and you don't have to do that Breezewood nonsense.

That looks like a better route. Just 40 miles longer though. I plan on going straight through with very few pit stops with a second driver so I want to get there as fast as possible.

So after the tips I have these items in mind so far:

Fix a flat
Road flares
GPS and maps
Cell phone charger for the car
Removing all the junk in the trunk
iPod and loads of songs

I thought about radar detectors and go about 70 - 80 MPH straight through the whole time but I thought against speeding the whole way there.

I think I can use roadside assistance instead of having AAA. I am afraid of what might happen if I do have a problem and have to stay at the dealer or something or if I could get a rental to finish my trip.

For the battery, why do I need to add distilled water to the battery? I never knew about that one.

For the battery, why do I need to add distilled water to the battery? I never knew about that one.

That entire post you're quoting from was done tongue-in-cheek.
It was geared more towards a 1972 Bronco than a 2011 Explorer. :)
(New batteries are considered to be "maintenance free"... many years ago, they weren't.)

But yes... while you can just hop in your new car and go these days... that laundry list of stuff was legitimate for any extended trip 30 years ago!

That entire post you're quoting from was done tongue-in-cheek.
It was geared more towards a 1972 Bronco than a 2011 Explorer. :)
(New batteries are considered to be "maintenance free"... many years ago, they weren't.)

But yes... while you can just hop in your new car and go these days... that laundry list of stuff was legitimate for any extended trip 30 years ago!

:D

I was trying to remember the things my dad told me were important when taking a car on long road trips. It's amazing how much of it no longer applies, or is so outdated as to be thought of as humorous.

And you got it right on the nose CulturalInfidel, it would be just about 30 years ago that advice was given!

Of course, the Yoo-hoo and trail mix still apply. They are timeless!!

This weekend underlined to me just what a great road trip vehicle the Ex is.

Loaded it up Friday evening. Caught a few hours sleep, up at 3am Saturday morning, coffee, bundled the kids in the back at 3.30 and off we went. Made it to New York in just under 4 hours. Couple of days sightseeing and hanging out with friends, and back to NoVA on Sunday evening.

Space, comfort and 20.5mpg at a steady 75. Awesome vehicle.

(and the MFT only crashed once or twice ... :D )

Loaded it up Friday evening. Caught a few hours sleep, up at 3am Saturday morning, coffee, bundled the kids in the back at 3.30 and off we went. Made it to New York in just under 4 hours. Couple of days sightseeing and hanging out with friends, and back to NoVA on Sunday evening.

I agree. Very comfortable vehicle to drive in. Went to New York last year in March with the 2011 Explorer and it was wonderful.

I do that several times a year ... but in a 12 year old 5.4L Excursion. This vehicle is why I'm considering an Explorer now. (Though the Excursion only gets about 16mpg if I could possibly keep it down to 75mph ... my normal cruising speed gets about 14 ;) )

To be honest though... we're still kinda up-in-the-air between the Explorer and a 4-door Rubicon. (Would still have the Excursion for long trips with all the kids.)

This is what I just did. One thing I'm gonna add is a cargo box. Would like to be able to see out the back for the drive home.

20120225_175317.jpg

I'm planning to go to Chicago this summer via road trip using the Explorer from D.C. and back.

I've never driven been on a road trip this long. Is there any special preparations I need to take into account before I make such a long road trip?...
1995E,

I see everything for a pre-road trip checklist has been touched on (and more!). :D

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions!

Also make sure the the main winding is of the normal lotus-o-delta type and is placed in panendermic semi-boloid slots in the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a nonreversible trem'e pipe to the differential girdlespring on the up-end of the grammeters...
chimoman,

Then where will the flux capacitor fit? ;)

Loaded it up Friday evening. Caught a few hours sleep, up at 3am Saturday morning, coffee, bundled the kids in the back at 3.30 and off we went. Made it to New York in just under 4 hours. Couple of days sightseeing and hanging out with friends, and back to NoVA on Sunday evening...
Now that sounds like an awesome weekend, Jimmy!

This is what I just did. One thing I'm gonna add is a cargo box. Would like to be able to see out the back for the drive home.
Thanks for sharing, harlenm; a cargo box sounds like a great idea. :)

Cory

Back