Any Talon/Eclipse Owners Here?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Just wondering if any ya'll here own either 95-01 Models, because I'm looking at my options of a 4banger car because with gas prices going up more than likely going to get rid of an explorer and go for a car but its gotta be All-Wheel-Drive and besides a subaru these are the only cars I know of thats AWD and kind of look good and that'd be good on gas. But is there anything to look out for with either of them? I haven't heard anything bad about'em but I never really paid much attention to them to know what they're common problems maybe. My only concern is, most teens own them or have owned them so I know that its a possibility of getting one thats been beaten, I don't do that to my vehicles so that concerns me but I'll get what I have available to me. Really want to know bout the cars because if they have too many issues I'll just go back to a FWD ZX2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cousin dad has a 92 Eclipse i forgot which model but its 2 door and stickshift and its good shape for a 92 but i am not sure if it is for sale.

I'm looking in the 80 mile radius distance from where I live, plus I want the body style of the 95's

I had a '95 Talon TSI before my Explorer. The biggest difference you'll notice (compaired to a ZX2) is the speed you get from the turbo. Make sure you get a Talon TSI AWD or Eclipse GSX if you want the AWD. Take it to a shop for a thorough testing before you buy it. Mine blew the T-25 turbo at 130mph, then tossed a rod bearing later before I parted the car. Very, very fun car. It was hard to go back to normal aspiration after getting used to forced induction!

I think the "Walking Crankshaft" is a common problem.

The generation before the 95 year was the first time I have seen Consumer Reports give a vehicle a negative reliability score.

Yeah...we don't care for the pre 95 body style.

Ideally you want the first generation engine with the second generation body style. Try DSMtuners.com, I think that was the forum I used when I had my Talon.

Ok, thanks. We don't want to get a car that I don't know how to work on and me end up having to do a bunch of work to it.

Interesting fact...

The guy who tints all my vehicles, Norm Schilling, used to have the fastest DSM in Colorado. I think it was an AWD 91-94 Talon.

Just wondering if any ya'll here own either 95-01 Models, because I'm looking at my options of a 4banger car because with gas prices going up more than likely going to get rid of an explorer and go for a car but its gotta be All-Wheel-Drive and besides a subaru these are the only cars I know of thats AWD and kind of look good and that'd be good on gas. But is there anything to look out for with either of them? I haven't heard anything bad about'em but I never really paid much attention to them to know what they're common problems maybe. My only concern is, most teens own them or have owned them so I know that its a possibility of getting one thats been beaten, I don't do that to my vehicles so that concerns me but I'll get what I have available to me. Really want to know bout the cars because if they have too many issues I'll just go back to a FWD ZX2.
I think my Nephew is selling his black Eagle DSM. It's very nice and highly modified, if you're into that kinda thing. His username is clspeed and he's an administrator at www.deerparkavenue.com. He's looking for something newer and might be selling it.

I looked at getting one of these last summer, I couldn't find any in decent condition, I found a few, but all of them were really beat up. If i ever find a good one i might get it. The parts for them seem to be fairly cheap if they break too

Looking at getting her a Cobalt now, kinda leary of getting one since most people that have them raced them around, and most I found at a price we'd consider paying for one they needed something. Plus Sal it looks like your from Florida.

I hope the Cobalts are better in quality than the j-body (Cavalier, Sunfire, etc). A common complaint with those is with the "built to fail" quality of the OEM parts, like the starter and alternator, for example.

I would expect similar high depreciation...

well the guy at the chevy dealer said last night that mechanic that works there has an 06 he bought new and put 110k miles on the car since brand new and just had to replace the alt and wheel bearing.thought the wheel bearing must be common, the malibu needed em around 115k

Back