Any trick to priming timing chain tensioners? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any trick to priming timing chain tensioners?

Justin_

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2-DR Sport 4x4 4.10
Callsign
KJ7IKI
Hey guys I recently had to replace an injector so I swapped them all out. While I had the intake pulled off I figured I should also replace the driver side timing chain tensioner as i'm sure it still had the original in it.

The first time I just dropped it in and did not prime it. Started it up and had a rattle. Woops, my fault there.

I now took everything back apart and tried to prime it. I soaked it in a cup of oil and pumped it while submerged. I got some air out of it and I couldn't press it anymore. Tossed it back in and it was all tight when threading it in. When I started it up I still had a rattle.

I know the guide should be fine as I had no noise to start with, just replacing it for preventive maintenance.

Do I just need to try it again or is there a trick to this? Might the new one be bad? Im thinking I might just get another one before trying it again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never primed mine. What you described sounds like how people soak lifters before install.

I just threw mine in and cranked with the pedal to the floor until oil pressure came up, then let ‘er rip. No issues.

I never primed mine. What you described sounds like how people soak lifters before install.

I just threw mine in and cranked with the pedal to the floor until oil pressure came up, then let ‘er rip. No issues.
Interesting, I have oil pressure no problem. Hope I didn't just break the guide somehow.

Ok, so after spending a bit longer digging over the forums I see that the cheap ones (like I got) tend to be total garbage. That could be my problem. I might just put the old one in and see how that goes.

When it comes to engine components...Ford only, IMO.

Ok so I swapped the original one back in and turning it on I still had some noise from the chain. It's not terrible, but it is there. Ill try running it for a bit as it seems that has helped some.

I guess worst case is I will need to get the chain guide replaced. At least it is a front one. I'll probably take it to a shop if it comes to that.

I probably should have just left it as is. Oh, well.

Buy the two Ford external tensioners, those are the only ones to use for those. The rear/right one is easy to change. Be sure to save the old crush washers or buy new ones. Stick the washers onto the tensioners with a thick grease to hold them in place straight. I got mine on fine with oil but some people have had trouble with the washer slipping while snugging them on.

So drove it a bit yesterday and found that the chain only rattled when the engine was cold. Once the engine was warmed up it sounded fine. I parked for a few hours and came back when the engine had cooled off and it rattled again, when it warmed up it was fine.

Sounds like I do need a new tensioner if I understand it correctly. I'll get on that and grab an OEM one this time.

Get a new gasket
Sounds like yours is blocking the oil supply
Also I'd check the oil restrictor for sludge
Disconnect the coil pack then crank the engine to purge the oil passages
Reinstall your motor craft tensioners. Both of them use new gaskets
Then with your coil disconnected prime the tensioners by cranking the engine till the oil pressure shows on the dash gauge
Re connect your coil and startup

Back