Any way to get better gas mileage? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any way to get better gas mileage?

jbrewha74

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport White
I have an 01 sport 4.0 4x4, stock everything and i get horrible gas mileage. Anyone know what may be causing that or how to get better gas mileage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look for aldive's thread where he got over 30mpg

Check out Aldives milage monster thread, he put many, many great mods on his vehicle to achieve 30mpg in his '99 XLT.

For better milage you can start by switching to all synthetic lubricants, cleaning your MAF sensor, Seafoaming your upper intake and making sure your tires are properly inflated. I have 255/70/16 on my sport and when they are under inflated to 25psi they really create a lot of roll resistance, so I generally keep them at 33psi or up to 35psi, depending on how I can tolerate the stiffer ride.

For more extreme milage you can add a cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust.

Also as one board enthusiast told me once, drive like you have an egg under your gas pedal and don't want to break it :p:

Ok im a beginner on mods, what is an MAF sensor, and seafoaming intake?

Ugh, i would have to say less then 15 and i dont drive like a nut either.

gas mileage

Jbrewha74 - I have a 4.0 OHV 4WD with 138,000 miles and like you I was averaging at best 14-15mpg. Here is what I did to improve gas mileage:

1. Installed a Cold Air Intake
2. Changed Front and Rear Differential gear oil to synthetic (Royal Purple).
3. Changed the spark plugs
4. Cleaned the MAF
5. Removed the roof rack
6. Put on a bug deflector
7. Installed new upstream O2 Sensors
8. Replaced upper and lower intake gaskets
9. Uploaded a programmer from www.hensonperformance.com
10 Replaced PCM and Fuel Pump relays
11. Replaced fuel filter
12. Changed transfer case fluid to synthetic (Royal Purple)

Doing all this has now given me 22mpg on average. The next thing on my list is a catback exhaust. Now some may say I spent too much to gain 7mpg, but I plan on keeping the truck for quite some time. So over the long haul I believe I will get this money back in gas savings.

What of all of that is necessary and how much roughly would it cost?

Your can also replace your factory fan for an electric one, as well as replacing your stock harmonic balancer (belt pulley on the crank) for an underdriven (smaller in circumference) one.

I believe that these are the best two modifications you can make to increase your fuel efficiency. Unfortunately they are also some of the most invasive modifications to make to your engine at the same time, so you may want to do some others first.

See the end of my registery in link in the signiture below for more informaion about these two mods.

The MAF sensor is the sensor that sits just after the air filter box. It can be removed and cleaned with MAF sensor cleaner. You need to have a set of Security torx bits to remove it.

Without getting to fancy and cost prohibative, a basic tune up should help a lot. Plugs, air filter, oil, PCV filter, fuel injector cleaner and clean the Throttle body plate.

I am pretty handy, however i have never done any auto work but i see the amounts that these "mechanics" charge for this stuff. What would be the best way to teach myself how to do my own maintenance, etc?

I am pretty handy, however i have never done any auto work but i see the amounts that these "mechanics" charge for this stuff. What would be the best way to teach myself how to do my own maintenance, etc?

The best way is to just dig in and get your hands dirty. I would also recommend picking up a Haynes repair manual for your truck. I have one along with the two big ford explorer repair manuals right from ford which get pretty in depth. They are a really great tool to have when trying to find parts on your truck or walkthroughs on how to perform maintaince and repairs.

Another '01 Sport owner here with crappy mileage. Appreciate the suggestions people have posted.

@Barenfang: not sure if you changed all those at once or one at a time, but, what single component do you feel made the most difference for you?

Another '01 Sport owner here with crappy mileage. Appreciate the suggestions people have posted.

@Barenfang: not sure if you changed all those at once or one at a time, but, what single component do you feel made the most difference for you?

I believe aldive said the best mpg mods were eletric fan, underdrive pullies, and a tuner. But the best thing for decent mpg is to keep up on maintaince.

I believe aldive said the best mpg mods were eletric fan, underdrive pullies, and a tuner. But the best thing for decent mpg is to keep up on maintaince.

I read his posts too and I'm actually reading up on e-fan and UDP right now. Hoping I can score a fan during my next visit to the yard. Agreed on the maintenance point btw. I was just asking Barenfang what he thought made the biggest difference based on his mods.

On my 94 new plugs ,wires and a KKM intake and turbo muffler were the ticket for a lot better mileage.There is a point of diminishing return as you add things.In other words how long will it take to save the $500 in gas that you just spent in parts?

That's why I drive older vehicles,$3000 for a 2000 Ex (paid cash) at 16-20 mpg vs $9000 for my girls 06 Impala LTZ (hello bank loan) at 23 mpg.I can buy a lot of gas for $6000.:D

I can tell you on my 5.0 (2wd) driving back and forth to FL, I avg 19.2 on the way up and 18.9 on the way down, and that was with the cruise on 80mph and about 85mph on the way down, if I cruise from 65-75 mileage is much better but still I thought that was excellent for those speeds and carrying bunch of cargo. (intake/exhaust/mobil 1), have 119K on the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLT, where did you get your factory repair manuals? I an interested in getting some for my '96 EB. I'm a retired mechanic with mostly GM experience but I'm getting quite an education on this Ford. Service manuals would be a big help for me.

As far as mileage is concerned, good plugs and wires help a lot as well as eliminating any vacuum leaks. I had a problem with bad mileage and a misfire that I could not get rid of. I ended up replacing the cylinder heads with new castings because the old ones were cracked and the exhaust valves were wearing into the heads. My truck has over 200k on it so I didn't feel bad spending $600 for new heads and I did all the work myself. The engine is a 4.0 OHV and it runs like new with lots of pep and just over 19mpg on the highway at 70mph. I think that's about as good as it will get for me. The sticker on a new 2010 Explorer with 4.0 SOHC says 19 highway. I really like my Explorer, even with all the common issues. It keeps me occupied in my retirement.
Mike

Back