Any wheeling in MI? planning a trip in August | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any wheeling in MI? planning a trip in August

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
OK my girlfriend and I are going camping in the UP in august. anyone know of any decent wheeling up there. We are taking my X and she sugested there must be some wheeling up there. LMK, and if you wanna get together to do some we can work that out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is the mounds and silver lake, thats all i have heard of in michigan....might wait for arnie897 to see this or pm him, he may know where there is more wheeling in michigan since he lives there.

Silver lake is a good place to go. I have been twice with my X and usually never see another X like it there. This year I will have a diffrent one to take there, should be a good time. I will keep an eye on this thread maybe we could hook up and go together.

subscribed.. should be home on leave during that time and i am planning on going to silver lake.

From what I've heard there a place called Druman Island up that way. Also there are tons of ORV trails. There are regulations on those for vehicle size...but you can find some that allow full size vehicles to pass. Give me a minute and I'll find some links for you.

This is a link to a Jeep tour place...this is just for the pictures of what's available up there.

http://www.drummondisland.com
https://ssl-001.9netave.com/~ux323243/drummondisland.html

I've never been but from what I've heard none of the trails are really hardcore and the scenery is awesome. I've only taken my Explorer to northern lower Michigan. The link that Dustin posted earlier will give you the maps you will need to find these ORV trails....just remember to get an ORV sticker if you plan on using them.

Thanks for all the info. I will post for sure when I know our exact travel plans

The majority (like 90-95%) of OHV/ORV trails in Michigan will be pointless to run down for wheeling purposes. The ATV/ORV trails aren't wide enough to take anything bigger than a quad down (plus it's illegal to take your truck down them). The OHV trails that are legal to run are trails that any passenger vehicle can make it down, such as your average FWD compact car. Anything else is off limits. There are a few park sections that are open for wheeling, but few. Those few include The Mounds off road park in Mt. Morris (outside of Flint), Bull Gap (I believe it's in Rose city, but google it to be sure. I do know its in the northern lower peninsula), Silver Lake sand dunes, and Drummond Island (in Lake Superior, near St. Ignace). There is currently work being done to improve Drummond for wheeling, and serious work at that. Some of the people from Michigan Jeepers and Michigan Trail Conservation are involved in that, some of which I know personally, and know that they are serious about getting this done. There are also some people that have large plots of private land that they open to wheeling on a limited basis. One of the better ones is an annual pig roast hosted by Yogi and Grandman from Michigan Jeepers. It's largely a Jeep based event, but open to all four wheelers. You will get razzed heavily for showing up with anything buy a Jeep tho (personal experience...even tho I'm a former owner of several Jeeps, I still get ragged on for wheeling an Explorer now).

I'd love to hook up with some other X owners/wheelers for some trail riding in Michigan. Hopefully my X will be ready to roll in about a week, and be ready to rock in about a month. Really only need to the hubs to get it rolling, but still want to redo the bumpers, add rock sliders, mount the Hi-Lift and spare, redo the lights, etc....

I'd love to go to that MJ meeting. Let me know when it happens. I've been a member there for awhile since I also own a CJ-7. :eek: They all just wish they had stock 8.8's.

Arnie897 said:
I'd love to go to that MJ meeting. Let me know when it happens. I've been a member there for awhile since I also own a CJ-7. :eek: They all just wish they had stock 8.8's.

Honestly, I don't spend a whole lot of time on MJ anymore....seems like the last few months the "Jeep elitism" syndrome (the mindset that Jeeps are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and any other vehicle is just pure crap) has gotten a bit out of hand. Everyone I have met in person has been cool, but it seems like there is an overwhelming number of jackasses online. And it only seems to be the Jeep crews that are like that. Every other auto group I've been involved with has always been more welcoming to others. Sure, its to be expected that the people will think that whatever vehicle that have is awesome, but I've never seen any other group put down all other vehicles so much. My board name is the same there as it is here, and I'm guessing you've seen my tag line about having an 8.8 stock in my signature there :D

But anyways, the thread about the Drummond Island park is here, I'm fairly sure that details on how to get involved is in there.

Also, for other trail issues, you may want to check out http://www.trailconservation.org It was started by a group of people that were unhappy with the way that GLFWDA was handling things, as well as the desire to get all trails users together for one voice, not just 4x4 people.

Michigan and Jeeps and Explorers

I grew up in N. lower P. Lake City near Cadillac. There were some places along the Manistee river that I used to wheel in my Jeeps. Past Smithville landing on 66 turn left and take any of those trails along the river. But that was in the early 80's. Good trails but nothing extreme. You can't get a 4wd car on 'em that's for sure. I was brainwashed by Jeep for a long time. Till my YJ was stolen 4 mos. ago and I bought a 91 Explorer. It out performed my Jeep on every trail I have run them both on her in AZ. Believe me these are extreme trails. Explorers ROCK!
1339_0562817397.jpg

1339_0562711148.jpg

1339_0562711050.jpg

We definately have a different definition of extreme. I am looking for something harder than pictured. Thanks for the tips it looks like there wont be a whole lot of wheeling on vacation. No biggie, plenty of other things to do while up there

Give me a break

I havn't had time to do the mods on my Explorer yet. The pictures are only a minor trail. Try running it stock. Believe me the trails out here are extreme. Not only in rating but try running in 120 degree heat! Lift and SOA and locker coming in 2 weeks. I'll post some extreme pictures. Lookup Woodpecker, Twisted, Anaconda, Martinez Canyon and dozens of other trails in Arizona or Moab in Utah. If you've never run out here in the West you don't know what extreme is. Ummm unless you think mud is extreme

Wasnt trying to hassle you. just gave me the impression you were saying that was hard. I am framiliar with moab and co drove some of it.

Sorry

It's 116 degrees here today and my A/C broke yesterday, guess I'm a little cranky.

Well hell i would be too. I couldnt deal with that kinda heat for more than a little.

wimp, wait till you get above 130 to complian :)

Only suffered that torture once. Now imagine your heat with PA's humidity. The combo would probably kill people. Eitherway, anything over 90 is bad, over 100 is just plain terrible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True

Yeah 128 is the hottest I have ever dealt with. I guess I'm just cranky no matter what the tempurature is :fire: :) But at least you don't have to shovel the heat. Left Mi 'cause I hate snow. BTW Drummon Island is a cool place. You will find lots of moderate wheeling trails in the Upper P just pick a sand trail off the road, used to be thousands of them around my property near Germfask. Worth exploring as long as it's not black fly season.

Back