Any windshield LED light bars? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any windshield LED light bars?

Planing to ditch the roof lights on roof rack. They fit the theme of the truck, but they're old outdated tech, (1 bulb is out) and I have to pull them on and off all the time to go in and out of the garage.

attachment.php

I was looking at just mounting similar lights but in LED.

images

This doesn't solve my height issue however.

Plan 2.0 was a LED 40" Bar and move it over the windshield similar to jeeps and the full size crowd as done.
LED_zps4e875314.jpg

We're no moving to plan 3.0

This will be a set of three 12-14' LED light bars over the windshield. The center will stationary, and the outer lights will sit back a bit from the middle, and be able to adjust to the curve of the windshield, for more coverage of the horizon. The lights will be mounted to a curved piece of tube. Never see this set up.

14inch%20led%20light%20bar%204-700x700.jpg

I'd like to hear any feed back and I'm looking for mounting ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two reasons.

1. Curved are very expensive
2. Trying to keep the 3 light theme.

I'm not putting a ton of money into these. They are going to be ebay specials. They'll have the look work for my application, and it they get smacked I don't have to worry about huge waste of money.

I was the thinking curved tube with flat stock ends. Maybe even a upper tube for protection.

This is a company local to me that has been selling LED bars to the local wheelers...

You can tell they are small potatoes.. they use Yahoo live store but from what I've seen, their stuff is just as good as all the other import ones.

They have the curved bars for somewhat cheap (more than the straight ones) and they have smaller pods..

http://www.lowcostperformanceparts.com/

I'll be replacing my pair of 6" bars with a longer version from these people soon...

~Mark

Kinda like this,

Attachments

• rigid_led_40132.jpg
    rigid_led_40132.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 2,071

Working on more ideas for this.

Instead of running brackets in the door jams, I'm leaning towards going to running a bracket through the roof drip rails like the Tacoma guys do.

Also thinking of running a larger 20" bar in the middle and smaller lights on the outside.

So to get what I wanted, I ended up ordering a 30" combo bar for the middle and a pair of 7" spots for the either side. Also picked up some metal for the mounting brackets. I'll use the roof rain channel to bolt through like some of the Raptor and Tacoma guys use. Only mine will sit lower over the windshield so the highest point will be level with the top of roof.

raptor_brow_mount_kit%2B50in_e-series-1.jpg

I am currently looking for two light bars around 23" to replace the round lights on my bumper. I need a flood for night runs when I am behind someone and a spot when I am leading. Contacted several venders to see if they could get me a pair. Most only sell combos.

I am currently looking for two light bars around 23" to replace the round lights on my bumper. I need a flood for night runs when I am behind someone and a spot when I am leading. Contacted several venders to see if they could get me a pair. Most only sell combos.

The bigger bars are hard to find in anything but combo. :thumbdwn:

I found a light bar that has a equal number of spot and flood reflectors. Anyone know how difficult it would to get two combos and switch out the lenses to get what I want?

I found a light bar that has a equal number of spot and flood reflectors. Anyone know how difficult it would to get two combos and switch out the lenses to get what I want?

I thought of that too. I think it's just the reflector that you would swap. I just would not want to try it on $500 light.:(

I thought of that too. I think it's just the reflector that you would swap. I just would not want to try it on $500 light.:(

I'm a cheapskate at heart. I was looking at $125 knockoff's. The LED's are all the same in the lights I was looking at, so yeah, just the lenses or reflectors. I think they might be glued in, but really have no idea.

I'm a cheapskate at heart. I was looking at $125 knockoff's. The LED's are all the same in the lights I was looking at, so yeah, just the lenses or reflectors. I think they might be glued in, but really have no idea.

Cheap? I just paid $85 for a 30" and $65 for a pair of 7" off ebay :D

I'll probably have them in a few days, I'll let you know how they work out.

I have a guy that I get Lifetime LEDs from. They have a new 20 inch bar that is over 1500 lumens. I have used Lifetime leds in that past and they were great.

Lights came today:D

First impression....there um BRIGHT! :eek:

Attachments

• LED Roof.jpg
    LED Roof.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • LED Roof Lit.jpg
    LED Roof Lit.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,226

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back