Anybody added aux reverse lights like this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody added aux reverse lights like this?

T-1000

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Curious if anyone has added some extra reverse lights the same or maybe something similar to what's here:

I'm wondering how performs and how it looks when it's not illuminated (hoping its not too obvious).

Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious if anyone has added some extra reverse lights the same or maybe something similar to what's here:

I'm wondering how performs and how it looks when it's not illuminated (hoping its not too obvious).

Thanks for reading.
I haven't read where anyone has installed additional reverse lighting. Some have upgraded the OEM lights with LED bulbs to get more light. It seems that reverse lights usually do little to illuminate the area behind you and seem more like a warning that you intend to back up.
Looks like this might be a good investment.

Peter

Wow... that's a lot of $$.

I bought a set of LED DRL's that I'll be mounting and wiring into trailer hitch reverse wires. $25 mod.

I just did Cree projector LEDs to replace my factory reverse lights and it helped a lot

I just did Cree projector LEDs to replace my factory reverse lights and it helped a lot

Hey Harley,

I ordered a set of those Cree bulbs you reccommend and I'll see if that does the trick alone. I'd still love to see these aux lights on somebody's Ex but maybe I'll decide I don't need them.

Are you still happy with the turn signals (second type you tried)? I'm thinking maybe I'll just order those as well if they're still performing as you'd hope since I'll have the housing out anyhow.

I did, I customized my solution, I tapped them in to the reverse trigger at the reverse light & to the dome light signal with diodes both way so they don't back feed into each other. So they act as both reverse lights and also courtesy lighting with the puddle lights. I used these lights from (1.2 Watt Cob LED). Although they are not listed as waterproof, I have washed the vehicle plenty of times, and the LED panels have not gone out, I've had them on for about 2 months now. These small LED panels made a huge difference! They are the same ones I used to light up my hood area

20130813_000213.jpg
20130813_000010.jpg
20130813_000024.jpg
20130813_000139.jpg
20130813_000058.jpg
20130707_222949.jpg

I like the idea you have going but I travel to the city alot and I would be worried about blinding people when backing up ....Otherwise I would AUX lights with a switch but make sure you mount the switch in a spot that you can't bang with your leg or something so you don't blind the person behind you and cause accident...

They're far from blinding people. If that's the case, you'd want to drive around with your headlights out too because HID headlights are FAR brighter than any LED reverse light. Plus cities are usually so lit up with street lights and everything else, that bright lights aren't as blinding when the ambient light is pretty bright. The reverse lights would be more blinding on dark country roads where it's pitch black with no street lights, and you're not worried about blinding anyone then....and again, still nowhere near as bright as headlights.

Hey Harley,

I ordered a set of those Cree bulbs you reccommend and I'll see if that does the trick alone. I'd still love to see these aux lights on somebody's Ex but maybe I'll decide I don't need them.

Are you still happy with the turn signals (second type you tried)? I'm thinking maybe I'll just order those as well if they're still performing as you'd hope since I'll have the housing out anyhow.

The 3rd type I tried lol. The amber 5050 LEDs then the red 5050 LEDs were both a dud, too dim to provide enough contrast against the LED brake lights. The 3rd type I tried was the projector CREE LED turn signal in red and those work excellent. Definitely still recommend them!

Harley,
When you tried the third type, the CREE LED for the rear turn signals, did you still need the resistors? I remember in one of your threads that another member had tried something similar and did not need the resistors.

just posted up in the other thread, I'm not sure on that one. I never unplugged the resistors when I put the cree's in to see if they were still needed. I may try that one night this weekand I'll post up.

just posted up in the other thread, I'm not sure on that one. I never unplugged the resistors when I put the cree's in to see if they were still needed. I may try that one night this weekand I'll post up.

I didn't need resistors with mine when I put the LED projectors in.

I have a question.

Can I just add an extra wire to the existing reverse light wire going to my added reverse light then an earth?

Without a fuse and all the hassle or will I blow the original fuse?

Thanks heaps guys,

Jake

Back