Anybody done a 5.0L Swap?

CougarX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT
Has anyone on this board done a 5.0L & AOD swap? About how much did the 5.0L, tranny, and computer cost? Also what kind of milage do you get?

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, I'm just looking into this since I've got 140k on my 4.0L and my tranny sucks the big one. I would mainly do this to get rid of the A4LD... Ok, so I wouldn't mind the extra power at all... but I'm using the tranny thing as my own personal excuse. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Brad Bottoms
92 XLT 4x4
My Philosophy is "Bigger is ALWAYS Better"

CougarX,
I am in the process of installing a 5.0L in my '92 Navajo. I have install a 5.0L in my Ranger about three years ago.
A C-4 was used in the Ranger but an AOD would have been better. Too much rpm on the hy-way.
In the gas milage department - I have never kept records, (power cost money), but on club runs to the Vermont Truck Show I determined I got about 18+ miles to the gal.
I used an L&L Products adapter kit, the best there is. Very heavy duty.
The cost - ALOT... The motor w/harness and computer was about $1200, more or less depending on milage. The adapters in '96 were about $700 and that did not include the raditor, another $300. The transmission is a TCI C-4, another $585, plus torque converter.
As you can see not cheap. A rebuild AOD is going to run you in the $700 to $800 range.
The results is great, I would not have it any other way. Ford should have put 5.0L in the Ranger/Explorer along time ago.
E-Mail if you have any additional question.

------------------
Sandy Balzarini
n1mau@gis.net
'92 Navajo Project

[This message has been edited by Sandy (edited 04-25-2000).]

Back