anybody got an idea? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anybody got an idea?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
My 2000 Mountaineer 5.0L 2WD started making a rattle/knocking noise about 12 months ago. this was accompanied by a small coolant leak, which with the truck up on ramps, ran down the passenger side of the engine. This slight coolant leak continued throughout last winter, but as soon as the engine warmed up it would stop. After a month, or so, the rattling/knocking noise also went away and has never returned. Once the outside temps warmed up the coolant leak pretty much stopped too. I'd add maybe 8 ounces each month to keep it at the FULL LINE.

This fall, as soon the temps started getting down near freezing, the coolant leak returned and was quite a bit worse, especially if the engine remained cold. Because of the earlier noise, I was thinking water pump (200k on the original w/p). BTW the radiator is new.

The truck has not been started in 3 weeks and it's been really cold out (teens) and the coolant leak is now pretty much a continuous drip. The thing is, the truck is parked on a section of my driveway which leans slightly toward the driver's side, yet the dripping is striking the cement to the left of engine center (facing the front of the truck) and then spreading to the right. I would think if it was the water pump weep-hole leaking the drip would be hitting the ground in about the center. So now I'm scratching my head. I plan to replace the water pump in any case, but does anyone think this leak seems more like it might be the timing cover? I may get some dye and a black light and try to isolate where the leak is coming from. I haven't had a chance to crawl under the truck yet. There's no way I want to replace the w/p and still have a leak.

thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes grab some dye, we do the same thing at work with CAT equipment. Cant see where that stuff is leaking half the time. Don't throw money at something you're not sure is actually broken.

Where would you put the dye?

Top passenger corner rear timing cover or same area but from head gasket. Mine leaks there too but not as much as yours.

My 97 did this. In this pic look where the white spot is. Behind that there's a small hollow that sits back in where the intake meets the block. Stick a piece of Kleenex in there and see if it has anti freeze on it.

picture.php

thanks for the tips. if it's not leaking from the w/p, but from the timing cover or head gasket, I might try some stop-leak first. could it also be the lower intake gasket? I don't mind changing the w/p or even the time cover gasket, but i'd really not change a head gasket. I guess the dye will tell the story.

There is a ton of stuff in that area that can leak.

Freeze plugs, t'stat housing or gasket, the o-rings for the water rail along with the aformentioned timing cover and manifold gaskets.

Probably going to need to pull the alt/tensioner bracket to get a good visual.

There is a ton of stuff in that area that can leak.

Freeze plugs, t'stat housing or gasket, the o-rings for the water rail along with the aformentioned timing cover and manifold gaskets.

Probably going to need to pull the alt/tensioner bracket to get a good visual.

yes, I know there's a lot of places it can leak from. i'm just trying to narrow it down and was wondering what other's experiences were re weak/leak points. I need to get into it, but it could be weeks (maybe months, depending on the weather and the of course the holidays are now upon us) before I can get around to it. i'll let every one know what I find when I do.

The weakest links are the heater and bypass hoses and the steel nipples for them, particularly at the t'stat housing.

yes, I know there's a lot of places it can leak from. i'm just trying to narrow it down and was wondering what other's experiences were re weak/leak points. I need to get into it, but it could be weeks (maybe months, depending on the weather and the of course the holidays are now upon us) before I can get around to it. i'll let every one know what I find when I do.

With mine, it was the TC gasket high on the pass side of the engine. There is a water passage there that results in a pretty thin wall (and hence thin gasket). That is where mine leaked - was relatively minor for a couple of years, then suddenly became major and had to be fixed. Good luck.

Back