• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Anybody know anything about Freeport or Houston TX: Hahnville or Plaquemine, LA?

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
The Dow Chemical Company is seeking ME co-op's in the following places...

- Midland, MI
- Pittsburg, CA
- Edina, MN
- Freeport, TX
- Plaquemine, LA
- South Charleston, WV
- Houston, TX
- Hahnville, LA

I am very seriously considering applying for the TX or LA locations. I was planning on returning to my now beloved SC, but TX and LA would be awesome too. I've never lived that deep in the South...

Obviously there would be a crap load of things to do around Houston, but does anybody know anything about the other places? Right now the 2 locations I'm considering for this spring (and possibly for future employment) is in South Carolina in either Charleston, or Greenville/Spartanburg/Clemson

I know we've got some texans here, so convince me your state is the best :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
<------------ Grew up in Houston

Texplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4 4.0
<--------45 minutes from H-Town. I would pick H-Town over LA though. Even though Houston is muggy its not as bad as LA. Plus you have a crapload of people on EF from the area.

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I spent 2 yrs almost in Louisiana and I would say stay away from that state. Nothing but bogs..........

Texass sounds better

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Freeport is about an hour or more south of Houston if i remember correctly. Dont go to Louisiana..... its a bigger shithole than were im at. Cmon man, join the texas crew. We wheel and drink beer and whatnot. ;) :D

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
james t said:
Cmon man, join the texas crew. We wheel and drink beer and whatnot. ;) :D

Thats what i'm thinking... 'cept I need to learn more about the Dow plants in Freeport. Any good waves at the Gulf beaches in that area?

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Hokie said:
Any good waves at the Gulf beaches in that area?
No, but there are plenty of used condoms, needles, floating turds, and whatnot. :p

Winston P.

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
Hokie,

The weather in Houston is unpleasantly muggy, traffic is horrible (for lack of a better word), and Galveston beaches are mediocre at best. In spite of all that, I love this city.

Having said that, you'll enjoy working within the Greater-Houston-Area. Furthermore, you'll enjoy working alongside Houstonians (particularly at DOW-Chemical).

In my opinion, however, you should take this opportunity to explore the country. Apply for internships in California, Washington State, Oregon, et cetera. I certainly enjoyed working with people from these western states (many of whom are now my friends). Also, needless to say, the western landscapes are incredible (I rented an Explorer [whilst in San Francisco] and drove to Santa Cruz, the Napa Valley, Palo Alto, Redwood City, et cetera. UNFORTUNATELY, my rented Explorer was PURPLEish. Nonetheless, I managed to find a Hank Williams Sr. Greatest Hits CD, which I played loudly with my windows open).

Anyhow, whatever your choice, I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Regards,

C

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Come to Tejas and let us show you how we do it. "Wheel it like you stole it"

Houston is a kewl place (I like Dallas alot better)
I have lots of family and friends in Houston so we are there about every other month.

AgentStarks

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Any reason you don't want to come to California?

Gladi8r

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Small Town
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
My Bro-in-Law works for Dow about an hour south of Houston. I was there to visit about 3 years ago and I loved it. I used to live in East Texas, but I would move to his area in a heartbeat. If you want PM me and I will check with him to see if it is alright to give you his email. He can answer most any question you have as he has been with Dow for about 30 years or more.

p.s. I lived in Greenville for about 4 years in the 80's so I may be able to help with some info there.

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Gladi8r said:
My Bro-in-Law works for Dow about an hour south of Houston. I was there to visit about 3 years ago and I loved it. I used to live in East Texas, but I would move to his area in a heartbeat. If you want PM me and I will check with him to see if it is alright to give you his email. He can answer most any question you have as he has been with Dow for about 30 years or more.

p.s. I lived in Greenville for about 4 years in the 80's so I may be able to help with some info there.

that would be absolutely awesome... an hour south of Houston would probably be the Freeport plant. I'm curious to what the working conditions are and what its like to work there. my email address is bgwilson@vt.edu and my full name is Brett Wilson

Greenville/Spartanburg is my next area of interest... BMW, Michelin, etc

Easley has Watermark Sports (Dagger/Perception kayaks) and i'd live in Clemson

of course there is also charleston, sc which is my LOVE

I've looked at applying for some Mtn biking companies in WA or CA... I dunno, i've heard CA is beautiful and I would love living there for the outdoor recreation available, but all of our friends say they couldn't stand the Californians living around them.

Just since living in Charleston, I don't forsee myself living much further north... too cold

Eventhough WA would be awesome to be that close to mountainbiking and skiing/boarding

but i think the liberal hippies in the pacific northwest would drive this southern conservative insane

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
I didn't know Dow Chemical is hiring. I have been here for almost 50 years. La is a nice place, but floods allot around that area. Houston would be your best bet. Money would be better and cost of living is not too bad. Corpus is nice also, but small town type living. Older town, but nice. Has an airport.
What exactly is ME co-op, I may want to apply, LOL?

AgentStarks

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hokie said:
all of our friends say they couldn't stand the Californians living around them

This is interesting. I've lived in California my whole life, and it's hard to think of how other people view us. Not that I'm offended or anything, just curious on what your views of Californians are.

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
AgentStarks said:
This is interesting. I've lived in California my whole life, and it's hard to think of how other people view us. Not that I'm offended or anything, just curious on what your views of Californians are.

Everyone that I talked to said they loved California, but the Californians just drove them insane. That and the cost of living is soo friggin' high and the commute is so bad. Not quite sure what I think about Californians since i've met like 3, don't worry, I don't think y'all are yankees or nothing... just that everyone that moved to Charlottesvill, VA from CA talked about how much better it was in Charlottesville.