Anybody know where to get an Overdrive crank pulley for the 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody know where to get an Overdrive crank pulley for the 4.0 SOHC?

Devan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 BoostedXPLR Sport
Callsign
Devman
I'm looking for an overdrive crank pulley for my 01 BoostedXPLR Sport with a 4.0 sohc to spin my Eaton M90 jus a lil faster. Plus I'm always reading about how the crank pulleys on the 4.0s (mostly 05 to 10 v6 mustangs lol) are always falling apart. Thought I spotted one on the web a while ago but I can't find it now. So if anybody knows where to find an overdrive crank pulley please get at me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can try contacting ASP Home or

damper dudes Welcome to Damperdudes.net to see if they can make one
Rofl the damperdudes website looks familiar. that might have been the website I emailed a long time ago about a custom overdrive crank pulley for the 4.0. And I'm pretty sure they said no problem they just wanted a little bit much for a crank pulley. If I remember correctly during the conversation I was told that if I sent in a 4.0 crank pulley they would be able to expand the diameter to my specs. Since they fail and fall apart all the time it's not that hard to get the outer grooved pulley ring off of the harmonic balancer. I think theyre held together with rubber that gets old and brittle hence why the outer ring falls off of em sometimes. Buttt their are diff versions of that crank pulley i have 3 4.0s in my garage right now the original from the 01 explorer sport with 280k and my mk2 which came from an 08 stang v6 with like 160k and my mk3 which im droppin in now came from a 2010 stang v6 with 50k, the crank pulley on each one is slightly diff. On the 2010 one it looks like it would be hard to separate the outer ring cuz its got like a big block of rubber on the front. The others arent like that but theyre not the same as each other either.

The other thing im lookin for is the plastic dust shield that covers the crank seal but sits on the crank pulley. I cant find one by its self to buy. It looks like i would have to order a crank pulley to get a new one. If i was trying to get a diff pinion plastic dust shield seal cover it would be no prob but cant find one for the crank.*Update*-scratch that I was just able to get the dust shield seal cover off of the XPLR 4.0 Mk 1 crank pulley without breaking it and I googled the numbers on the dust cover and it only came up with buying a new crank pulley. I wonder if one of the pinion dust shield covers or maybe one from a different crank pulley or something similar would fit.

Anyways good lookin out Vroom, im gonna email that website

either one might be pricey, but when your doing one off stuff its to be expected. i have a 7 1/4 8 rib crank pulley (the balancer i have is a 28 oz mustang with a trigger wheel pinned to it) and a 8 rib power steering pulley from asp. i dont even want to say what the cost is, but when you need them, you need them, and if you can find someone to make it, you are at their mercy

either one might be pricey, but when your doing one off stuff its to be expected. i have a 7 1/4 8 rib crank pulley (the balancer i have is a 28 oz mustang with a trigger wheel pinned to it) and a 8 rib power steering pulley from asp. i dont even want to say what the cost is, but when you need them, you need them, and if you can find someone to make it, you are at their mercy
Are you running a 5.0?

Actually I'm pretty sure I've seen threads of your build if I remember correctly that paint job was something special. I just hit your profile and it said 347.

yes, 347 and as well as of sept a eaton m122 from a shelby gt500 that i made a mount for, and innercooler. that is the reason for a 8 rib (they are 10 rib however) pulleys. the 6 rib was starting to slip and would lose boost. hopefully that will solve it because i really dont want to go 10 rib, if its even possible.

yes, 347 and as well as of sept a eaton m122 from a shelby gt500 that i made a mount for, and innercooler. that is the reason for a 8 rib (they are 10 rib however) pulleys. the 6 rib was starting to slip and would lose boost. hopefully that will solve it because i really dont want to go 10 rib, if its even possible.
At first I was saying to myself why is he saying 8 rib if he's running a 4.0 and then I even proceeded to count the grooves on the crank pulleys I was working on rofl. But then I realized who you were 347 two-door Sport with a sweet ass paint job lowered right, the gen right before mine. Oh and you got that sweet custom rear bumper I think too I think I seen the thread on that. I've really considered putting a V8 in my truck but I would want a 4.6 sohc or dohc even though the 5.0 would prolly be easier either way I would still want to switch to a hydro boost brake booster and retain AC and 4wd. But ive just been so invested in the v6 setup with this truck that I'll just get like a four-door limited in full black with black leather with a 4.6 or 4.0 and swap in 4.6 dohc. But I'll bet you the 347 worked out real nice in that thing, considering they put the 5.0's in the four doors right? And the two-door and four-door of that gen are pretty much the same and kinda even the same as the 01 to 03 sports (nd sport tracs) except the body. So was the swap kind of easy? Do you still have your AC nd 4wd? And is your 347 a stroked nd/or bored 5.0? Nd wat trans?

My m90 is intercooled and i got a saleen f150 heat exchanger i think with dual fans as well as meth injection pre blower not a serious meth injector only makin like 7 or 8 psi right now. Although my intake is huge my throttle body is def a restriction, i still have a factory throttle body on a custom plenum. I needa make and new spacer to accommodate another TB and make a remote IAC and port the plenum and blower. Throwin a sweet perf rad in now along wit a new condensor my old one was all gummed up and prolly killin a lil air flow and mighta been leakin to, still needa get an electric fan, have an even better t cooler then the one in my pics with a fan, puttin new motor mounts in and this motor im puttin in now came out of a 2010 stang v6 with 50k and it looks rllly good in there jus been sealin it all up and gettin rdy to drop it in

because you kinda asked me to hijack your thread (lol), yes, 347 stroker, with a m122 on it now. have had the truck for about 14 years around this time and slowly morphed into what it is. the paint happend by chance. i didnt like the ground effects grey and wanted to paint them black. when i pulled them off, i pulled most of the rockers with them. lucky me, by trade i am a bodyman. when i was doing the body at a buddys place, he mentioned another person he knew that can paint true fire. after finding out what he wanted to put flames on it ($250, yes, thats not a typo) he airbrushed the flames on it, and evil was born. the rear bumper/pan was a idea i took from member (who hasnt been active for years) explorersport77 (tara, who i ended up becoming good friends with, talk with her still to this day, and would crash at her place when i used to go to PA for all ford nationals. it is 3 rear bumpers cut, flipped around and welded into one with 1/4 diamond plate as the top filler. it took me a couple of weeks to make that. the thread is in my signature, but all the pictures have vanished for what ever reason. the motor came from another members truck (ford99_1979, brad). i flew out to his place also in canada, and drove it 14 hours home. he knew i would be parting the truck, and he was ok with that. found out the motor was hurt (he didnt know that when i bought it, and to this day have no hard feelings about it either) and had to have it redone. the swap was not hard for me at least. some people it might be over their heads, but if you know how to pull a motor, you have it made. i went one further, and put a 4406 t case into it while doing it because i didnt want AWD. nobody knew if it would fit or not because then, not a lot of people did a 5L sport swap. i want to say i was the first to put a 4406 into a v8 sport, but cant say for 100%. i wont say i am the only one with a v8 stroker sport either. there is another member on here with a 363 in his, and it is a super clean truck as well.

because you kinda asked me to hijack your thread (lol), yes, 347 stroker, with a m122 on it now. have had the truck for about 14 years around this time and slowly morphed into what it is. the paint happend by chance. i didnt like the ground effects grey and wanted to paint them black. when i pulled them off, i pulled most of the rockers with them. lucky me, by trade i am a bodyman. when i was doing the body at a buddys place, he mentioned another person he knew that can paint true fire. after finding out what he wanted to put flames on it ($250, yes, thats not a typo) he airbrushed the flames on it, and evil was born. the rear bumper/pan was a idea i took from member (who hasnt been active for years) explorersport77 (tara, who i ended up becoming good friends with, talk with her still to this day, and would crash at her place when i used to go to PA for all ford nationals. it is 3 rear bumpers cut, flipped around and welded into one with 1/4 diamond plate as the top filler. it took me a couple of weeks to make that. the thread is in my signature, but all the pictures have vanished for what ever reason. the motor came from another members truck (ford99_1979, brad). i flew out to his place also in canada, and drove it 14 hours home. he knew i would be parting the truck, and he was ok with that. found out the motor was hurt (he didnt know that when i bought it, and to this day have no hard feelings about it either) and had to have it redone. the swap was not hard for me at least. some people it might be over their heads, but if you know how to pull a motor, you have it made. i went one further, and put a 4406 t case into it while doing it because i didnt want AWD. nobody knew if it would fit or not because then, not a lot of people did a 5L sport swap. i want to say i was the first to put a 4406 into a v8 sport, but cant say for 100%. i wont say i am the only one with a v8 stroker sport either. there is another member on here with a 363 in his, and it is a super clean truck as well.
U have coilovers in the front or t bars?

stock front suspension, rear has explorer express swaybar, and rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. truck is also lowered 2 inches

stock front suspension, rear has explorer express swaybar, and rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. truck is also lowered 2 inches
You know where I can find upgraded sway bars? Is that explorer Express sway bar discontinued?

Oh and I came up with the idea to go search through my email for a message about getting a bigger crank pulley and finding out who I previously emailed about it, turns out it was ASP who I contacted about a custom overdrive crank pulley not damperdudes. they want you to send in a core and then they modify it to your specifications and balance it. They told me $250

Back