• Register Today It's free!

Anyone bagged an explorer

Good Times

Reaction score
City, State
So. Cal.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Low Roller
I was wondering if anyone here has bagged there explorer. If you have can you tell me how long you have had it bagged and if you;ve ran into any problems with it? Did you lower it through the torsion bar and then decided to bag it, if so what differences did you experience (ride quality and so forth)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few people have done it. You remove the torsion bars when you bag it. It should ride pretty good, if it's set up properly.

Will it ride better or worse then when you do the torsion flip?

Originally posted by Good Times
Will it ride better or worse then when you do the torsion flip?

Dont think it could get any worse after that

Right, the torsion flip is real bad from what I hear. Some will tell you differently, but it's bad.

dont bother with the torsion flip. ever rode in a truck lowered with heated springs? the torsion flip is worse.

wow that bad huh?

well how does the airbags compare to just the normal dropage of an explorer? Do you know if anyone has had any problems with their explorer after it was bagged?

My advice: Don't do it unless you have a good understanding on how a system like this works. If you have a shop bag it, you WILL run into problems like blown bags, leaking fittings and airline, faulty pressure switch, etc. You will want to be able to fix these problems yourself, or else a shop will rape you everytime something goes wrong.

This is a very extreme modification in which is very hard to reverse.

I understand what your saying about that, and I have that part take care of. All I'm trying to find out is if I bag my car, the front part for that matter, how will it effect the car?

baggin explorer

I did my 97 sport in a day its easy,
On the front cut your torsion bars out pull off your sway bar and pull out your shocks. You can use the shocks later if you want but I dont suggest it just buy some smaller ones at autozone or wherever. you can bolt the bag directly to the lower a arm but you will need a bracket for the top. The best thing to do is make or order a set of brackets that will fit a 4runner because the suspension is basically the same. make sure you cut your bump stops as well to get lower to the ground you can layframe like this on 18s with 30 seris tires. Relocate your shocks to the back of the lower a arm. Again order the part out of any mag like for a 4runner.. The back you have two options. your can do a basic behind the axle mount set that you can order out of any mag but order SUV brackets or your wasting money. The other option is to do an outside the frame job. To do this you need 3inch STOCK , not getting the stock and using tubing will only warp your brackets and the tubing and blow bags. Trust me I did it and it lasted two days. Cut the front bushing off your leaf spring and weld it to the stock. Cut your stock 3 inches minimum past where you axle will bolt up.weld one bracket on the outside of your frame and the other to the outside of the stock. The closer to the axle the better ride you get the farther the more lift you get. You can use basic drop blocks on the back axle to help you lay knuckles. If you do not do a full notch you will need a mini notch. You can use a 6 inch pipe cut it in half then cut your fram and weld this in for stability. Your tanks and compressors can go where your spare is and valves needs to be as close to the bags as possible for best performance. On my sport I got a four door drivers door panel and used the back two window switchs for my bag switches and the window lock for my compressor on off switch but and switch set from a mag will do. Also you WILL NEED A PANHARD BAR. Get the biggest one you can find because the extra wieght will sling that axle. Also you will need to shorten your exhast and get smaller shocks on the back.

if you do it do it right. and put a triangluated 4 link on the rear or at least a parallel 4 link with a panhard bar or watts link. and theres noway your gona bag anything in a day to lay and work properly. gona take you at lest a week to 2 weeks depending on how much and how fast you work on it. if you dont plan to lay out then theres a lot less work obviousy and you can keep the leaf springs and stock crossmembers and so on. i have a 1st gen thats bagged and body dropped and i have bagged quite a few trucks. if you want it reliable do it right the first time and make sure you do not buy anything from aim industrys. if you want more help email me brian@illusivefabrications.com

Back